Author Topic: KIPS adjustment  (Read 1938 times)

Offline maxfli11

KIPS adjustment
« on: March 26, 2019, 02:03:32 AM »
I have a couple questions. I took the nut; 92015 off the shaft to remove the governor lever;13168, so i could put cover the gasket on. First question is, is that nut i just mentioned the one that everyone is saying has left hand threads, because mine came off and went back on right handed. And two, I did not hold that lever with anything when i took the nut off. It rotated out and extended the rack shaft outwards and i thought i felt and or heard a pop. After putting it back together it seems to me the governor lever is not moving the KIPS shaft in as far as it did before, but the lever is 90 degrees straight up. Should it go past 90 towards the cylinder? I took off the allen bolt on the opposite side and that KIPS rack gear shaft lacks a good 3/8 getting to the bolt. I believe this bolt has been modded also, because the non-threaded stop tip on the bolt is gone. It's probably only 1/2" long now. what should the distance from the collar where the lever connects be from the case at rest?

Offline maxfli11

Re: KIPS adjustment
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2019, 02:07:35 AM »
I need to clarify I'm working on a 1990 KX500

Offline maxfli11

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2019, 07:12:14 AM »
Think I found the answer to my question on  an old 2015 post

"By load I mean place the governor in the clutch cover before you place it on the engine, "not" set the governor in the motor then put the cover on

The arm the 10mm nut retains is not indexed or keyed. Meaning you can put it in any position on the end of the shaft, when you tighten the nut it preloads the governor in the open position basically locking the powervalve closed.

Undo the nut , let shaft shaft return to its home position. Then hold the arm with pliers when you tighten the nut. Drop the pipe to verify the valves are closed , then use pliers to move the arm & see that they open fully & return fully to closed"

Offline alward25

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2019, 04:14:04 AM »
So, looks like you got it figured well enough.  I have never heard anyone say the KIPS arm but is LH thread.  Anyone that has ever removed one knows better.  Leave the arm loose until the KIPS stop plug is tight.  Then tighten he 10mm nut on the arm.  Make sure cover gasket is installed before tightening, don’t know how many times I make that mistake.
"Let there be light"

Offline maxfli11

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2019, 07:45:58 AM »
That gasket is how I came about taking it loose to begin with. :)