Author Topic: Seat Brackets  (Read 1831 times)

Offline barryadam

Seat Brackets
« on: October 25, 2005, 05:42:22 AM »
Have you looked at your seat brackets lately?

I've got a couple of seats and on both of them the aluminum rear brackets look like they have badly worn holes at the frame attachment location that are oval, stretched, and look overly stressed.  It looks like the seat bolts have been over tightened either to secure the brackets tighter to preven the holes from wearing or to keep them from falling out.
In any case, the soft aluminum brackets have been crushed into the Nutserts in the frame creating a bigger mess of the aluminum.  Eventually, this could lead to a failure of the hole area.
The stock seat and fender fit fairly well without having to push down hard on the seat to fit.  The PO had installed a FactoryFx cover over the stock one, so the double thickness of material against the subframe may have required a wee bit more force to compress.
Bottom line is I'm not in any danger of having any kind of catastrophic failures, but if the seat bolts/brackets fail, it could be really inconvenient out on the trail.
Has anyone welded these up with harder material or used some other method to solve this?  Or does anyone else have this kind of unexplained wear happening?
B
"I hate heli-coils. They are like hospice for motorcycle parts."- BDI

Offline hughes

• Dirt Hammers
Seat Brackets
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2005, 10:30:28 AM »
My 87 brackets are a little diff. but look great with no wear.
Open Class 2-Stroke Kawasaki KX500
Yamaha 2005 YZ250
Richard Hughes
Dirt Hammers - Online Off-Road Journal
hughes@dirthammers.com
http://www.dirthammers.com