Author Topic: Scouring the Parts Interchangability thread leads to piston questions.  (Read 1656 times)

Offline Bower100

In repairing my 1984 air-cooled 500 I'll first need a useable cylinder I can fit to a new piston. But while waiting to source a cylinder I need to understand what piston I can use in it. I see where KawiMan indicates a '88 thru '04 will work and thats certainly good news for me, but are there stipulations doing this?
       I'm confused because I see single ring, double ring, domed, flat top crown for various years. Then I see the OEM part numbers are all over the place. Then on Ebay I see some options...... some old new stock Rocky Dist. aftermarket cast pistons and Wiseco's forged pistons they list for '88 thru '02.   
      I don't want to get involved in modifying the head or cylinder. What are my options.
Thanks, dave

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
    • OEM-CYCLE QUALITY USED PARTS
Dave, I know Kawiman and he is a cool guy  :lol:
You can run a Wossner 2 ring piston all the way from 83-04.
However, Kawi ran several different port timing specs as well as compression specs over those years.
So, if you want factory compression in your 84 but want to use a newer piston you will need some head work done.
Tom Morgan at TMR has a head cut that will set you up nicely.
Otherwise you need to get a NOS 84 piston and there are some available on ebay right now..
The four stroke engine: That's one stroke for producing power and three for wearing the engine out.

Offline Bower100

Ok great! I’ll all for just using an OEM piston with no mods... it’s actuslly my goal ( besides being cheaper). 😁
  The pistons you saw , are they the Rocky Tucker distributed ones ? Think they’re ok ? ... not timebombs? 
I’d like to snag one quick before they’re gone but I don’t have a cylinder either to choose the size piston for. And I’m stuck right now, blocked from the Wanted/ForSale threads.
Dave