Author Topic: KDX 250 1992 Re-build  (Read 21526 times)

Offline Foneluva

KDX 250 1992 Re-build
« on: November 25, 2017, 11:59:17 PM »
Dear Riders,

I am re building a bike for the first time and I’m also new to the forum...
I never rebuild a dirt bike so I got some questions.
What are the diffrences between a kdx 250 and a kx 250?
Are there any specific things I should keep in mind when building / restoring?
Does anyone know where I can buy the origional KDX stickers?
Has someone already restored a kdx250? If someone already has restored one, could you maybe send me some pics..? Because if I search for restored models all I see are original models, but I’m curious about what it would look like with other graphics.

Offline SS109

• KDX fanatic!
Re: KDX 250 1992 Re-build
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2017, 08:56:58 PM »
The big differences between the KDX250 and the KX250 are transmissions, KDX = wide ratio and KX = close ratio. The KDX also has lower compression ratio, different carb settings, a lighting stator, a completely different chassis including plastics and suspension.

Nothing special to pay attention to on the KDX250 vs any other two stroke.

I have not seen original stickers anywhere as they have long been out of production. You might get lucky and search Ebay for some NOS ones or maybe someone that is reproducing them now.

I haven't restored one but I do have one I wish to rebuild the engine and install the engine in a better chassis. The reason you won't find many KDX250's that have different graphics is that almost no one liked the KDX250 bike due to the excessive weight and it's poor handling characteristics. As you have noticed, they weren't made for very long due to poor sales due to the aforementioned issues.

I really think Kawasaki really screwed up in how they made the KDX250. They took the '89-'90 KX250 engine and really reworked it in to a great enduro/off road engine then saddled it with a chassis that handled like a cow and it felt as heavy as one. If they only would have just dropped it in the regular KX frame with some lights added on they would have had a real winner. It's really a shame. :-(
« Last Edit: November 27, 2017, 08:59:23 PM by SS109 »
'90 KDX 200 (rebuild - DONE!) - '94 KDX 250 (soon to be a KDX250af)

Offline Foneluva

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2017, 09:20:39 PM »
Thanks for the comment SS109.!!
Finding information about the KDX is hard so your comment is very helpful!

Now I got another question, I need to get all the scratches and blemishes removed by either polishing or honing. When I’m done doing that, what else am I obligated to replace after the polishing / honing?
A friend of mine told me that when I do that, I need a new crankshaft and probably even more new things...

Offline SS109

• KDX fanatic!
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2017, 12:25:58 AM »
Polishing and honing what? The cylinder should absolutely never be honed as it has an electrofusion coating that can be destroyed by honing.

As for the crank, unless it is has some serious damage, it can just be rebuilt with a new rod. I highly recommend Cooksey Crank. He has done three KDX's, one Gas Gas, and one YZ125 for me with excellent results and super fast turnaround.
'90 KDX 200 (rebuild - DONE!) - '94 KDX 250 (soon to be a KDX250af)