Author Topic: '87 KX500 COIL - PART NUMBER VALIDATION  (Read 1561 times)

Offline streetsleeper

'87 KX500 COIL - PART NUMBER VALIDATION
« on: January 08, 2019, 03:33:16 AM »
Going to a Kawasaki dealership in another town today, and since it seems I've got the wrong coil (F6T411 fitted instead of F6T536) I'm going to try to get the F6T536. I think they're the manufacturers' part numbers and the Kawasaki part no. for the F6T536 should be 201121-11865 with an ohm rating of 2.6 to 3.6. If anyone could confirm this I'd be grateful.

If anyone could also tell me the following it'd also be useful: Does the coil come with the HT lead and suppressor cap attached or do I have to buy these separately? Also is it a tinned copper core ignition lead or one of those carbon resistor ignition leads?

The other thing I've heard is that Kawasaki have a computer system that connects to all other Kawasaki dealerships called "Lightspeed" I think? Does anyone know anything about that? Does it connect to dealerships solely in the US or throughout the world?

Well, this is Mexico so I don't know if they can even connect to other dealerships in Mexico. I think the source for most parts will be in the US where most of the KX500s were sold.

Someone has lent me a meter. It's got about 50 million settings but I don't know if it checks for continuity. Sandblaster did a really comprehensive article on checking the electrics so I'm going to follow his advice. Just need a new 9 volt battery to check if the meter works and I shall let you know how I get on. I've had the bike running twice but the spark is intermittent. When I got the KX people laughed and said, "Just look at it. It hasn't run for about 10 years. You'll never get it running." The carburettor was a case in point. Here's a couple of pics of the state of the carb before and after cleaning.