Author Topic: CDI/COIL/STATOR 87 KX500 HELP!  (Read 1999 times)

Offline streetsleeper

CDI/COIL/STATOR 87 KX500 HELP!
« on: January 06, 2019, 05:09:12 AM »
I have read the following article by Sandblaster back in 2012: "How to trouble shoot your KX500 electrical system."
But help is desperately needed and I'm sure someone on KXRiders.com could help out. Basically I need parts, someone may have parts they'll never need or have use for, or would be willing to sell them to me second hand. They'll be put to good, immediate use.
To start with, does anyone know, or know where I can find the part numbers for the CDI/COIL/STATOR on an 87 KX500? I did find a number stamped on the coil: F6T411 - does this sound right? I could find nothing on the CDI.
My engine number, btw, is KX500BE0048
I have a good blue spark and actually had the bike running. I'm in Mexico and so far I've got the KX is registered in my name, plus I have a new number plate. As it's over 30 years old and considered a "Motor Antiguo" - a classic vehicle - I shouldn't have a problem keeping the KX in its original trim. It didn't have lights fitted in '87 so I should be okay riding it in the daytime, just need the electricals sorted and a new set of tyres to get going.
But the spark is intermittent. I'd like to get hold of these parts either new, or second hand in good working order. That'll mean I'll also have spares for when the inevitable happens and something else dies on me. I've been here since '08 and when I return to the UK the KX is going with me.
The way to send parts is via whichever country's usual postal service you use, using registered post so that they have to be signed for at this end. This can take a few weeks with the Mexican postal service but it's never actually failed me. I once had jewellery that went to an old address of mine here, returned to the UK, so it is trustworthy and obviously I'd pay all the postage costs beforehand.

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
    • OEM-CYCLE QUALITY USED PARTS
Re: CDI/COIL/STATOR 87 KX500 HELP!
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2019, 06:31:28 AM »
Engine is a 87
Coil you should have F6T536
Flywheel you should have F3T81171

If you can't find the parts you need contact Alward25 as he sells a complete new ignition system
The four stroke engine: That's one stroke for producing power and three for wearing the engine out.

Offline streetsleeper

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2019, 09:00:28 AM »
Thanks for the reply Sandblaster (I left a personal message). Looks like I've got the wrong coil fitted.
If anyone has parts for an '87 please let me know as it's not possible to find anything here even on mercado libre (ebay in Spanish speaking countries).
Will post in "Parts Wanted".

Offline streetsleeper

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2019, 03:14:19 AM »
Thank you for the answers. Going to a Kawasaki dealership in another town today, and since it seems I've got the wrong coil (F6T411 fitted instead of F6T536) I'm going to try to get that one. I think they're the manufacturers' part numbers and the Kawasaki part no. should be 201121-11865 with an ohm rating of 2.6 to 3.6. If anyone could confirm this I'd be grateful.
If anyone could also tell me the following it'd also be useful: Does the coil come with the HT lead and suppressor cap attached or do I have to buy these separately? Also is it a tinned copper core ignition lead or one of those carbon resistor ignition leads?

The other thing I've heard is that Kawasaki have a computer system that connects to all other Kawasaki dealerships called "Lightspeed" I think? Does anyone know anything about that? Well, this is Mexico so I don't know if they can connect to other dealerships in Mexico or even throughout the world, since I think the source for most parts will be in the US where most of the KX500s were sold. Thanks.