Author Topic: Castor Based Premix - who's using it?  (Read 5048 times)

Offline streetsleeper

Castor Based Premix - who's using it?
« on: December 17, 2018, 06:37:51 PM »
Hallo all KX500 Riders,
I'm new on your site and have read up on some basic stuff to get me going. This is a typical newbie topic, because I know sweet FA about KX500s. It’s just so you can get to know me really. Some threads are a little controversial but at least they provoke debate, and although of course some people don't just have opinions, but are opinionated, they're interesting. The more polemical and contentious a subject, such as the one below, the more people will wade in with their tuppence-ha'penny worth. I shan't argue with anyone, but would like to hear what you have to say because although 2 strokes are not new to me, KX500s very much are. I read the following topic, Re: ATF as Gear Lube – and I commented because it answered someone's question. It also gave me an idea for a new topic. Here's what I had to say in answer to, Re: ATF as Gear Lube: This thread runs back years and more than a few people have asked "What is it that Kawasaki recommends for the transmission?" Well, on page 11 dieselbeef has put up a link to www.bobistheoilman.com. Bob’s paper is very informative and comprehensive and here's your answer. Under Hydrocracking (Predominately Group II) he writes the following: "Chevron commercialized this technology for fuels production in the late 1950’s. In 1969 the first hydrocracker for Base Oil Manufacturing was commercialized in Idemitsu Kosan Company’s Chiba Refinery using technology licensed by Gulf." So, Idemitsu is the oil that Kawasaki recommended.
        I've taken a photo of my '87 KX500 airbox, and it still has the original sticker on it recommending Idemitsu oil. The KX hasn’t been used for burros’ years, and has spent its life in Mexico; where we live it’s a semi-desert environment. The bike has suffered what Foxx4Beaver calls "Mexican Modifications" - I would also call it "Mexican Malpractice" - but one thing it hasn't suffered from is corrosion, it still has nearly all the original stickers on it.
        Of course Idemitsu oil isn't available everywhere. If you live in the UK, New Zealand or Australia, or on the Indian Subcontinent, Castrol is often the oil of choice, in part for historical reasons. Castrol also make some of, if not the best oil available and getting hold of castor based oil in the UK is a doddle, because historically it's been popular. (If I were still there I’d choose R40 or a more modern castor based equivalent.) Similarly people in America often choose Amsoil because it's American and available. I'm sure you can buy Amsoil in the UK, but I never saw it sold locally to where I lived.
        I see so much written by people on this subject, but very little of it is subjective; many just repeat what they've read or heard - a lot of it simply old wives' tales. I've used it in all my 2 strokes, though not exclusively (and also mixed it with other 2T oils) for well over 30 years. I’ve read that castor oil gets under the rings, causes gumminess (especially in the KIPS valves), and leaves deposits. In my experience it’s true that surfaces get an even, sooty-coloured deposit (castor varnish that keeps on lubricating), but that’ll just wipe off with pure petrol or white spirits with a bit of elbow grease – it doesn’t harm anything and shouldn’t be a problem in motocross bikes that are regularly serviced. Castor oil also mixes with modern synthetics. I never mixed it with mineral oils or semi synthetics, because put simply, it doesn’t mix.
        Going back to the ATF topic, I read through the whole thread and I decided that I'm going to use an ATF oil in the transmission the first time, not just to try it out, but also to help flush out whatever it used before and the years of neglect. After that I shall switch to a gearbox/clutch saver type oil. The premix will be Shell Racing M - a castor/synthetic combination, followed by (for comparison), Silkolene PRO Castor/Ester Synthetic 2T. Both are castor oils I've not used before. Jonnie 

Offline kxpegger

Re: Castor Based Premix - who's using it?
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2018, 03:33:14 PM »
I use Red Line for premix. It has a very high flash point just under a "bean oil" and burns clean the way I drive. Red Line motor oil here in the states is also used for "Top Fuel" and "Funny Car" racing so I figure they know what they are doing? Just use whatever for the transmission so long as it's wet clutch approved and change it often. 
North Las Vegas

"05" RMZ450, "08" KX500AF "11" KTM 450SX-F "12" KTM 250SX "15" KTM450SX-F

Offline streetsleeper

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2018, 03:27:07 AM »
kxpegger, I've read about Red Line here on this site. It seems a lot of KX riders are using it. I looked up Red Line and they're an American manufacturer of synthetic oils based in California; it also says they started with lubricants for racers, so it has to be quality stuff. I'll keep my eye out for it.
        In your case you say that if it's good enough for "funny cars" and "top fuel" then it has to be good enough for KXs. I go on the same assumptions as you and most of the oils I choose are ultra high performance oils for kart racing and RCs.
        From what I have read it seems that riders find one they're happy with, and stick with it. It appears that Maxima Castor 927 is popular, and I can actually get that stuff online here in Mexico. American stockist of parts and accessories aren't prepared to send stuff here, which I understand. A simple letter by registered post from the UK once took 14 weeks to arrive.
I shall definitely follow your advice when I change oils and get a product designed for wet clutches.

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
    • OEM-CYCLE QUALITY USED PARTS
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2018, 01:35:14 PM »
On the oil issue I have used many different oils over the years and have had great success with all of them.
I think the most important thing is to mix as per the manufactures recommended guidelines, and use a quality oil.

On shipping to Mexico.
I have a lot of experience shipping all around the world.
Here is why I stopped shipping to Mexico.
I sell a part.
I pull it from inventory.
I box it..
I make a label and get it to the post office quickly and efficiently.
The customer receives tracking info and everyone is happy.
Then 3-4 weeks later I get a email from the customer asking where their part is.
I check tracking.
It shows that the part made it from the US to Mexico's Customs department.
After another week or two and several emails back and forth I have to refund the customer.
Why? Because they never receive it, or claimed that they did not receive it.
Once a package is handed off to Mexico's customs department the US Postal system says it is no longer their problem.
No amount of insurance helps, it's money thrown away.
It's sad that Mexico and so many other countries have poor mail delivery systems and I feel bad for guys that just want to ride their motorcycles.
But I do not want to be stuck paying for a broke system that I have nothing to do with and a lot of sellers feel the same way.
The question is then, how can these countries improve their mail delivery systems so that sellers can rest assured that their products will make it to the buyers?
I do not know..

Back to the bike. You have a good start. I hope you get it finished..
« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 02:56:15 AM by sandblaster »
The four stroke engine: That's one stroke for producing power and three for wearing the engine out.

Offline umberto

• Administrator
  • First Ride 02-02-19
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2018, 01:40:45 AM »
We no longer ship to Mexico from my UPS Store either.  The worst experience I had was when a lady sent some nacho ingredients to her church's mission kids working in Mexico.  The Mexican customs agent straight up told the UPS rep, "If this American has enough money to send this kind of stuff UPS, she has enough to give something to me.".  No shame, no worries about being recorded, he just held the package hostage for a bribe. 

I had another incident with UPS Freight where the driver delivered to the address, and some strange guy signed for it, took it off the property, and held it hostage for cash.  The customer who shipped it was just out of luck, because the driver had delivered to the correct address.  I've always thought that the thief and the receiver were in it together, and the receiver was just trying to milk the shipper out of a refund.  I told my staff no more shipments to Mexico from that moment on.  I can only imagine it hasn't got any better over the years.
Perhaps I have a dirt bike addiction?

03 KX 250/88 KX 525/2017 KX250F - Goliath
17 KX250F/04 KX250
04 KX 250 - Lunchbox's Bike
05 KX 125/144

Offline streetsleeper

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2018, 04:36:03 AM »
Thank you for your replies Foxx4Beaver & Umberto. I think it's fellers like you that keep sites like this alive. Always willing to welcome a newcomer, and from what I've read full of years of experience and knowledge that you're happy to pass on to people like myself.
        I fully understand why you don't ship to Mexico. Everything is difficult here and it hasn't been helped by the controversy over the wall - gotta go all of a sudden, to catch my eldest (he's 7) at the Christmas skating rink...
        Quickly, I've attached a photo of the day I went to view the KX. That's the bloke I eventually bought it off, and the condition of the bike after he attempted to clean about 10 years of muck off it, also what I believe is a KDX200 exhaust. Couldn't upload a video but you'll be glad to know that I've had her running - in the kitchen. Blimey, (cough, cough) even my eyes are watering!

Offline Heniz

« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2018, 05:13:43 AM »
That exhaust mounting is mean...... or as we call it in New Zealand. Chur brother Rangi as. haha

Shame about the shipping in Mexico i know its bad enough when we have to pay large shipping fees to get stuff to New Zealand and have to wait weeks sometimes months for it to arrive but 95% of the time it does turn up unless it gets held up at customs and we get heavily taxed for it.

As far as premix oils go Maxima Castor 927 smells great but does gunk up the powervalves quite rapidly but lately ive had great success using Castrol TTS. Its cheap and it does the job and alot of people comment saying it smells like im running race gas but im just using standard 98 octane pump fuel (different to the Ron rating used in the states).

Bike looks like it will be a great runner with a good clean and a tidy up hope you got a good high pressure water blaster! :evil:
Moto is life

Offline streetsleeper

« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2018, 05:05:34 AM »
Heniz -I guess that's Maori?
Yep, shipping to New Zealand must be expensive.
There's a company in your part of the world (Australia) making billet crankcases for KX500 now. They're called TSR and have a facebook page. Someone on here has bought a pair - it's an interesting thread.
Regarding Castrol TTS, well it's great stuff. nearly all of us bought it (in the UK) when it was available, but I'm pretty sure they've changed the name. Can't remember if it was mineral or semi synthetic, do you know? I've bought some mineral oil here called Castrol "Go" - but that won't mix with the castor oil I use. The other one I've got is a fully synthetic called Repsol Moto 2T Competición, which will mix.
There's a new feller on here from the Antipodes called sandgroper in Western Australia, hence apparently, the name he chose.

Offline alexander-vmann

« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2018, 02:52:28 AM »
well as long as we are talking about oil again :-D anyone ever tried  millers oils in their kx's? they have this fancy dancy nano-technology that they claim can get up to 7% increase in power due to less friction. i think that would be interesting to try out in the gearbox. they also have a two stroke motorcycle oil that meets the highest jaso and iso requirements but without the nano-technology, so i have no idea if it actully reduces the friction over any other oil
KX 500 newbie

my bike: 1993 kx500

Offline alexander-vmann

« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2018, 03:12:36 AM »
here's a two stroke oil that claims up 26% reduction in friction over ''standard engine oil'' http://www.millersoils.co.uk/products/kr-2t/662
KX 500 newbie

Offline streetsleeper

« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2018, 08:26:36 AM »
alexander-vmann. Thanks for the link. I found Millers a while back and when I'm back in the UK with the KX I'm definitely going to try it. At first I got confused with Morris oils which is more of a budget line, but I also found a page for Millers oils on a UK website, Here's the link: www.millersoils.co.uk/products/cb-40/114. There's another page I put aside for my intended return, although the company selling it couldn't even spell it correctly in their blurb. They call it "caster" oil, LOL. Here's their link: www.carrotcycles.co.uk/lubricants/engine-oil/millers-zcb40r-castor-based-1-litre.html
Eventually I chose to go with Shell and Silkolene, but would be interested to hear how you get on with any Millers (castor based) lubricants.
Here are a couple of pics of what I'm using until I get hold of the Shell and Silkolene. If experience is anything to go by the Repsol Moto 2T is probably completely compatible with the castor based oils, obviously I'll make sure first. The Castrol Go! definitely won't be.
Whereabouts are you in the UK, btw?

Offline alexander-vmann

« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2018, 01:59:01 PM »
alexander-vmann. Thanks for the link. I found Millers a while back and when I'm back in the UK with the KX I'm definitely going to try it. At first I got confused with Morris oils which is more of a budget line, but I also found a page for Millers oils on a UK website, Here's the link: www.millersoils.co.uk/products/cb-40/114. There's another page I put aside for my intended return, although the company selling it couldn't even spell it correctly in their blurb. They call it "caster" oil, LOL. Here's their link: www.carrotcycles.co.uk/lubricants/engine-oil/millers-zcb40r-castor-based-1-litre.html
Eventually I chose to go with Shell and Silkolene, but would be interested to hear how you get on with any Millers (castor based) lubricants.
Here are a couple of pics of what I'm using until I get hold of the Shell and Silkolene. If experience is anything to go by the Repsol Moto 2T is probably completely compatible with the castor based oils, obviously I'll make sure first. The Castrol Go! definitely won't be.
Whereabouts are you in the UK, btw?

im not in the uk, im in norway. i've used millers oils in my car and it hasnt broken down yet so :-D im curious about trying out that karting oil with the nanodrive, since they have made such big claims about their nano-technology.
KX 500 newbie

Offline streetsleeper

« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2018, 06:37:41 PM »
Forgive me for suggesting you are in the UK. If you're Norwegian then I have to say your English is exceptional. When I got here I was an English teacher: Certificate in English Language Teaching to Adults (formerly Teaching English as a Foreign Language, TEFL). The funniest thing is I have such a strong London accent that people joke I'm teaching "Estuary English" - the estuary being the Thames Estuary.

Actually I'm really taken aback by the professionalism of KXRiders.com. Just as an aside, I am reading an article by sandblaster called Having electrical problems on your K5?. At the beginning of his post he says: "I am really sticking my neck out without finishing it and getting some good proof reading done." Well, if that's not dedication to education (I mean passing on all the know-how and expertise to people like me who know nothing about KXs), then I don't know what is....

Please let me know how you get on with different Millers oils, especially if they're castor based so I can try them if you think they're good and avoid them if you have real problems. Thanks.

Merry Christmas & Happy Holidays!

Offline alexander-vmann

« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2018, 12:15:16 PM »
Forgive me for suggesting you are in the UK. If you're Norwegian then I have to say your English is exceptional. When I got here I was an English teacher: Certificate in English Language Teaching to Adults (formerly Teaching English as a Foreign Language, TEFL). The funniest thing is I have such a strong London accent that people joke I'm teaching "Estuary English" - the estuary being the Thames Estuary.

Actually I'm really taken aback by the professionalism of KXRiders.com. Just as an aside, I am reading an article by sandblaster called Having electrical problems on your K5?. At the beginning of his post he says: "I am really sticking my neck out without finishing it and getting some good proof reading done." Well, if that's not dedication to education (I mean passing on all the know-how and expertise to people like me who know nothing about KXs), then I don't know what is....

Please let me know how you get on with different Millers oils, especially if they're castor based so I can try them if you think they're good and avoid them if you have real problems. Thanks.

Merry Christmas & Happy Holidays!

i havent tried their castor based oil's, but their syntetichs seems to be good quality stuff! they even won an award for ''most innovative motorsport product'' and all the testing results i've seen suggest that their claims are true. They also have a very long history in the oil industry, so i wouldnt be afraid to ever try any of their two stroke products. Wheter or not they're actully better, is a diffrent matter.

-merry christmas
KX 500 newbie

Offline streetsleeper

« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2023, 09:38:40 AM »
Hi Everyone,
I haven't posted for more than 3 years but hat doesn't mean I'm any less keen. This post turned up online when I was doing my own search for Miller's Oils this evening. I had their Castor based 2 Stroke oil brought to my attention in a link by the gentleman called alexander-vmann (details here).

Posted by: alexander-vmann
« on: December 22, 2018, 01:59:01 PM »

Well, it's true they advertise on a UK site and have an English name, but the advert says "Caster Oil" which I thought was a spelling mistake. Here's the online entry:

Millers CB40 Caster Blend Engine Oilhttps://www.millersoils.fr › ... › Motorsport Engine Oils
Suitable for all 4-stroke, car and motorcycle engines which historically require a caster-based oil. Formulated for engines running methanol or alcohol based ...

Well, one can see from the dot.fr (France) that they have a base in France too.

I write this for my own reference. I don't seriously expect anyone to read it. But at the end of my original musings on Castor oil I said I intended to try out Shell Racing M - a castor/synthetic combination, followed by (for comparison), Silkolene PRO Castor/Ester Synthetic 2T. Both are castor oils I've not used before. Well, I actually bought these on a UK site and got an old mate of mine to bring it out to Mexico when he visited. The muppet mentioned he had two litres of castor racing oil to UK customs before he even left the country. He said they went through "Flash Points" to see if it was safe to carry on an aeroplane (a liquid is considered to be flammable if its flash point is less than 60°C) when to give you an example, the flash point of Castrol R40 is 220 degrees Celsius!. In any case, because both he and UK customs came up stumps, he handed over the oil and I lost the oil (plus postage) which came to about £30. Most annoying, than even the hapless English guy, was a lack of lubricant pre-mix for the KX500.

So after more than 3 years I remain just where I was with the KX. Now I'm going to start reading up on it again as I'm going back out to Mexico in the not too distant future.

Regards to all, Jonnie

Nope, the company is actually French