Author Topic: 86 clutch operation issues  (Read 2262 times)

Offline whitedog

86 clutch operation issues
« on: September 30, 2018, 03:11:41 AM »
Hey guys. My bike has a new set of Barnett dirt digger clutches in it, with fairly low hours on them. And the clutch has always worked fine. But all of a sudden, i have very minimal clutch pull. Almost like the cable is stretched. I have one of those nice quick adjusters on the handle. (ASV?) and i ran it all the way out, and still wont go in neutral.
Thing is... there is a LOT of free play & lost motion at the actuator lever. I took it all apart, and the plates and fibers seem to be fine. The ball is still in there, the rod and the little pusher thing at the hub all look good as well.
Also there is NO BOLT to hold the actuator down in the case. There is a place where it should be, but its like it was never drilled or tapped from the factory. How about the little needle bearing in there? Do these ever get worn out? Is there only supposed to be one? The needles are all still in it so i assume its ok, but man its all really loose.
Iduno im at a loss.
Owner of a Johnny Cash K5  "Well... its an 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90..."
Thanks Floyd... thanks for NOTHIN' !"

Offline KXDINO

Re: 86 clutch operation issues
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2018, 08:48:53 AM »
is the cable frayed somewhere.

Offline whitedog

Re: 86 clutch operation issues
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2018, 12:36:39 PM »
No, the cable is good. The issue is in the actuator mechanism, it has sooo much lost motion in it, its crazy. Im thinking it must have the wrong actuator arm in it, OR the bearing is bad or maybe there is supposed to be two bearings?  Tomorrow Im going to wiggle it, and measure the freeplay at the button on the clutch side

Thing is, this bike is a thrown together "parts Bastard"  bike (89 chassis 88 bottom end 87 cylinder -cracked- 86 clutch)... that I unknowingly purchased from a tall dirtbag by the name of Floyd Knaab in the Reading PA area

Hope this dosent get me in trouble with the mods... but the dude clearly knew what he was doing, because he had 5 cr and kx 500s as well as two 500 powered shifter carts  :-(
« Last Edit: October 06, 2018, 12:45:43 PM by whitedog »
Owner of a Johnny Cash K5  "Well... its an 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90..."
Thanks Floyd... thanks for NOTHIN' !"