Author Topic: All about reed spacers -  (Read 96662 times)

Offline azracer19

Re: All about reed spacers - one of the best mods
« Reply #60 on: May 01, 2009, 07:15:11 AM »
I know this is an old post but here goes, when adding the reed spacer, is it also posssable to add a scary fast modification, or is that deffeting the purpose? I like the idea of adding some bottom to mid range but refuse to give up top end and over rev.
any ideas? if it helps..which comes first the reed spacer then the scary fast mod?

Offline jfabmotorsports.com

« Reply #61 on: May 01, 2009, 08:29:31 AM »
You could have all the above, "your cake and eat it too".... :-D
Don't just float through life, make waves!

Offline cattamer

« Reply #62 on: May 21, 2009, 12:43:01 PM »
I to know this is an old post,but I have to jump on the Moose band wagon as well.I installed mine and noticed immediately that I could stay one gear higher in alot of situations.I had a '90 that was bone stock and it pulled better off bottom than my '92 with Gnarly and flywheel weight until I installed spacer.I didn't really notice any top-end loss.I'm also going to try a 15 on the front.

Offline Hick

« Reply #63 on: May 21, 2009, 04:31:54 PM »
Installed a jfabs reed spacer with the vfore and i must say i like jfabs better than the moose for the k5.  The moose spacer did not fit without shaving alittle but jfabs fit perfect.  Great upgrade.

Offline Danger4u2

• Administrator
  • KX500 is Danger4u2 Returning from light speed pic.
    • KXRiders.com
« Reply #64 on: May 22, 2009, 12:45:54 AM »
Link to Jfab:   http://www.kxriders.com/forums/index.php/topic,5028.0.html
« Last Edit: June 11, 2010, 02:46:36 AM by Danger4u2 »
KX 500 Rider

Offline flyingfitz

« Reply #65 on: November 01, 2009, 02:26:01 AM »
5MM or 10MM?  Someone on ebay selling 5 and 10 mm spacers for the 500.  I am considering a spacer to be used with V Force 2 reed block I just purchased.  Will I notice a difference?  Which one?  Is the V Force 2 enough as a stand alone unit? Let me hear your opinions!  Fitz

Offline jfabmotorsports.com

« Reply #66 on: November 01, 2009, 03:38:55 AM »
I run the Vforce 2 without a spacer and the bike performs very well. I have sold them to plenty of guys running the V force 2 reeds. Maybe some of them will chime in and give a report for you.

JFAB
Don't just float through life, make waves!

Offline matzilla

« Reply #67 on: December 20, 2009, 07:10:46 AM »
On my 88 I used the 10mm spacer with the V-Force 2, but the top of the carb hit on the frame so I took it out. The V-Force 2 seems to do a great job by itself with no spacer.

Offline 98kaw500rider

« Reply #68 on: March 03, 2010, 11:24:01 AM »
Nitro ?  Whoa ! It's boogey time !

Offline BasketCase

« Reply #69 on: April 04, 2010, 04:45:43 PM »
First trip out with my new 3/8" spacer + VForce3 reeds = new rear fender.  Not sure if it's the math or the idiot running the throttle but whatever, I've got a shiny new fender.
Nitrous is like a hot chic with STD's , you know you want to hit it but your afraid of the consequences.

Offline Roostmad1

« Reply #70 on: June 03, 2010, 08:25:38 PM »
whats ive done is taken the reed spacer of my 86 K5,havent tried it yet with out it so i will be able to give you an honest opinion of these reedspacers which im not convinced are all there cracked up to be!!everybike is different some might be better with them some worst depends on lots of other factors,anyway will update after a ride in the morning.

Offline quickrip

• carnegieforever.com
« Reply #71 on: September 01, 2011, 01:26:09 PM »
where is the next mornings update about the spacer? I know its an old thread Im just dissapointed.
93 kx5          08 yz250
93 kdx200     72 honda qa50
71 trail 50      96 pw50
85 xl250

Offline motopunk

• www.der-motopunk.de.tl
Re: All about reed spacers -
« Reply #72 on: March 21, 2013, 08:53:18 PM »
Hi, I found this old topic. i recently finished a KX500 sf project. I had with the 93 chassis and a 86 motor. the problem: the carburetor behind the cylinder is too high and would not fit under the tank and the airboot. I've then built a wedge from 2mm to 10mm. now the carburetor sits lower. and its perfect to airboot and under the gas tank.
side effect is that I have since made ​​my the same time a spacer. works quite well. a smooth power from bottom to top which makes the 500 easier to ride with these bears performance.  8-)
I have simultaneously built a 10mm reed spacer for my 83 KX250, that i use for vintage racing. now waiting for the spring in germany  to get it to install and test, how much more power then bottom and mid range. in stock its from bottom like a modern 125 and then between mid range and top explodes like a rocket. which makes it difficult on hard or slippery ground ride. i want more from bottom to mid range. hope of mid to top is a softer transition with the same peak power.
here I have a few pictures of it on the 500 engine. more to see on my website  :-)
big 2 stroke bikes are weapons for real men, who don´t fear death or devil. ;O)
´83 kx250, ´87 kx250 (with 360 big bore), 87 kx500, ´93 kx500 sfc

---  www.der-motopunk.de.tl  ---

Offline motopunk

• www.der-motopunk.de.tl
« Reply #73 on: May 17, 2013, 09:42:17 AM »
i found the right time today and  installed  new boyesen reeds, the 10mm-reed spacer and a 4mm exhaust-spacer to my ´83-250 and first soundcheck says: whooohoo... it sounds a little bit diferent and stronger from bottom to mid... more i can say after short testride tomorrow... :mrgreen: 

and for everybody: for this mods is important, that the carburetor and airboot have always the right clearance to the frame and shock. also important, that the reeds fit properly to the cage. 

big 2 stroke bikes are weapons for real men, who don´t fear death or devil. ;O)
´83 kx250, ´87 kx250 (with 360 big bore), 87 kx500, ´93 kx500 sfc

---  www.der-motopunk.de.tl  ---

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
    • OEM-CYCLE QUALITY USED PARTS
« Reply #74 on: May 17, 2013, 10:31:38 AM »
Nice.
I can't wait for the ride report  :-)
The four stroke engine: That's one stroke for producing power and three for wearing the engine out.