Author Topic: All about reed spacers -  (Read 96666 times)

Offline 3Razors

Re: All about reed spacers - one of the best mods
« Reply #45 on: December 22, 2007, 04:35:56 PM »
I agree BDI, good info there.  My KX5 is pretty modified ie porting, head rechambered, NOS nitrous, and pvl ignition.  The idea of the reed spacer has been tooling around in my mind but never did use it because I didnt want to loose any top-end.  I've been debating between the V-Force and Rad Valve cages and by all the replies using the search sounds like the v-force is the way to go.  I have been using stock for the longest time and have been happy with them but I like to tinker for more hp but at the same time I really despise spending money on a product that doesn't perform the way I am hoping.

Offline bigbellybob

« Reply #46 on: December 24, 2007, 04:13:14 AM »
or you can raise the cylinder with a spacer

wont this also increase crank case volume ?

can i mill of the area where the reeds bolt on to decrease crank case volume?
IF RIDING IS OUTLAWED ONLY OUTLAWS WILL RIDE

sponsor
http://www.steelmx.com/

Texas Champ.

« Reply #47 on: April 24, 2008, 11:30:40 AM »
BDI..I have a "top end" pipe ...it's a custom made down pipe with a removeable/serviceable silencer..It's was custom built by Gemco ( they make alot of pipe for the RD-350-400 yam. and the triple Kaws ) The previous owner had it made for Road Race/ S. Motard...I'll sell it if you are interested...also I have a custom built reinforced swing arm ( like a crotch- rocket swingarm)..I don't use ...I race MX....E-mail me if your interested............Kerry

ImmortalSoul219

« Reply #48 on: May 18, 2008, 09:06:26 AM »
There aren't any real good pics of a reed spacer so I took some.  Heres some pics as I cut out the spacer from a 3/8 Aluminum.

Offline Johnniespeed

• The Thrill of Speed overcomes the fear of Death.
« Reply #49 on: May 18, 2008, 11:05:47 AM »
I was lazy and bought the Moose kit, the price of two gaskets and longer bolts was almost the same as the Moose kit.
Did you use a plasma cutter for the cuts ?  I have a plasma cutter but have never used it on aluminum. I usually just cut  aluminum with an end mill in a vertical mill.
 Looks like the end result will perform as good as any other. Good Job !
Spring is here and the Mighty 500 wants to ride.
 2004 KX500 E16
 Michigan has the best groomed and mapped trail system, check out the Cycle Conservation Club of Michigan trail maps.

ImmortalSoul219

« Reply #50 on: May 18, 2008, 12:56:38 PM »
No I used all hand tools and a drill press.  Used a copping saw for the cuts and a file to clean up the cuts.  My shops a half  hour away and didnt feel like driving out there this morning so I just did it in my garage behind the house.  Took me about 2 hours or so.  The hole project cost me about a few bucks.  The aluminum was free,  longer bolts were like 10 cents each and the gasket was like a couple bucks.

Offline kiwimonster

« Reply #51 on: May 19, 2008, 05:40:46 PM »
HEY AWESOME COULD ONE OF THESE SPACERS BE MADE OUT OF HARD PLASTIC LIKE THE TYPE A CHAIN GUIDE IS MADE OF, GREAT TO SEE ALL THESE MODS. :mrgreen:
d c scrivens

ImmortalSoul219

« Reply #52 on: May 22, 2008, 07:59:49 AM »
Can a mod move this to the sticky on this topic by chance?  Might be a good place for these pics.

Offline Danger4u2

• Administrator
  • KX500 is Danger4u2 Returning from light speed pic.
    • KXRiders.com
« Reply #53 on: May 22, 2008, 08:58:04 AM »
There is a sticky on reed spacers,  that's why you should do a search before you post a question.

This thread moved.
KX 500 Rider

ImmortalSoul219

« Reply #54 on: May 23, 2008, 12:36:01 AM »
HEY AWESOME COULD ONE OF THESE SPACERS BE MADE OUT OF HARD PLASTIC LIKE THE TYPE A CHAIN GUIDE IS MADE OF, GREAT TO SEE ALL THESE MODS. :mrgreen:

Yeah if you really wanted too.  You can make it out of anything you want but that doesn't mean you should haha.

Offline BMH

« Reply #55 on: June 01, 2008, 11:26:02 AM »
I just put in the Moose reed spacer, got my jetting set and what a difference in the low to mid! roll on power wheelies thru every gear. great mod.

Offline mar67655

« Reply #56 on: December 09, 2008, 05:08:14 PM »
how sells the best reed spacer all this talk about how great it is i dont want to miss out i would appreciate the help

Offline Hillclimb#42

• '97 kx 500, '96 kx 250, '99 KTM 380
« Reply #57 on: December 10, 2008, 01:32:12 AM »
 Moose sells them. I have a used one from my 97 500. send me a pm. I have some other stuff on my thread "xtra parts"

Offline jfabmotorsports.com

« Reply #58 on: March 29, 2009, 01:03:18 PM »
how sells the best reed spacer all this talk about how great it is i dont want to miss out i would appreciate the help

I sell them.....http://www.kxriders.com/forums/index.php/topic,5028.0.html
Don't just float through life, make waves!

Offline ToomanyKaws

« Reply #59 on: April 21, 2009, 05:57:49 PM »
Installed the Moose spacer.  Bike already has a set of Boy. dual stage reeds.   Seems smoother.  Amazing how desert riding in the tight stuff how fast you can go on 1/4 throttle or less most of the time.   My buddy swears by the RAD valve and V-force.  Has one of each in his bike and his brothers.   Told him the RAD is " right in Dumpster".   Stock would be better and more reliable.   Says no way, gained more power with it.     None of them can still beat my 02 KX500 that has only a pipe, stock gearing and the reeds.   Like the excuses they come up with.   How me being 150 pounds is not fair.   Going to work on my suspension next.  Bike has more than enough power for me as it is. :lol: