Author Topic: First Enduro  (Read 6037 times)

Offline Pmcg

First Enduro
« on: September 10, 2018, 08:26:48 AM »
I've signed up for my first enduro this Saturday.  I'm pretty pumped and am prepping the bike all this week.  The clutch pull is kicking my ass after the first hour or so of riding.  This is a 65 mile enduro so I am trying to make it a bit easier.  I got one of those in line pull reducers but it seems like junk and one more thing to break.  I welded another 8MM on the clutch actuator and actually think its worse.  Seems like in addition to the length I should have changed the angle.  Any other tips are appreciated.  I'm going to buy a rekluse but can't swing it until after.  Added bonus my for seal on  the left leg started leaking.  Parts ordered and I'll have to do that job thursday night. 

Any of you guys run enduro with the big girl?  Tips appreciated. 

Offline umberto

• Administrator
  • First Ride 02-02-19
Re: First Enduro
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2018, 08:36:10 AM »
I've signed up for my first enduro this Saturday.  I'm pretty pumped and am prepping the bike all this week.  The clutch pull is kicking my ass after the first hour or so of riding.  This is a 65 mile enduro so I am trying to make it a bit easier.  I got one of those in line pull reducers but it seems like junk and one more thing to break.  I welded another 8MM on the clutch actuator and actually think its worse.  Seems like in addition to the length I should have changed the angle.  Any other tips are appreciated.  I'm going to buy a rekluse but can't swing it until after.  Added bonus my for seal on  the left leg started leaking.  Parts ordered and I'll have to do that job thursday night. 

Any of you guys run enduro with the big girl?  Tips appreciated. 
Do you happen to have aftermarket springs in your clutch?  I had heavier springs in mine, and it made it pretty rough to pull the clutch.  Alward suggested stock springs and that was a big help.
Perhaps I have a dirt bike addiction?

03 KX 250/88 KX 525/2017 KX250F - Goliath
17 KX250F/04 KX250
04 KX 250 - Lunchbox's Bike
05 KX 125/144

Offline Pmcg

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2018, 08:38:51 AM »
That's a good question.  I'm not sure.  When I rebuild the motor I ran out of money so just put what it had back in.  Doesn't slip but is the hardest clutch pull of any bike I've ever ridden.  I am debating pulling the cover and installing the Hinson basket.  I could check springs but am not sure I have enough time. 

Offline WRXBRUMBY

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2018, 12:33:39 AM »
Might be a silly thing to ask but do you have any issues with the cable outer regarding lube or routing?
2008 FE650 (KX500 but with manners and E-Start)
2003 KX500 Scares me! (Reminded me I couldn’t ride well)
1997 TE610 Arm chair! (Made me think I could ride)
2000 CT110 Fun!
1986 KDX200 SOLD! (But looking for another)
1970 AG100 Still makes me 😀

Offline Pmcg

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2018, 01:14:14 AM »
Might be a silly thing to ask but do you have any issues with the cable outer regarding lube or routing?

Its a good question.  I replaced the cable, and have a new pro taper profile perch/lever coming in today.  I was thinking about trying to put in the hinson basket I have, but don't want to tear into it 2 days before the ride.  The stock basket had some slight notching, and I'm sure that's adding to the issues.  I'm going to have to man up for this weekend. 

Offline moreccsthanlbs

« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2018, 04:51:33 AM »
I'd throw a hydraulic clutch before doing a rekluse

Offline Pmcg

« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2018, 05:37:20 AM »
I'd throw a hydraulic clutch before doing a rekluse

I haven't read a lot of positive reviews on any of the hydrolic systems.  I ride tight rocky woods and have a hard time feathering the clutch.  My KX250 was a different story.  May be better with new basket.  I like the rekluse because it still had the clutch. 

Offline WRXBRUMBY

« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2018, 09:39:20 PM »
Rekluse would be top notch, my left hand used to give out after only a couple of hours with the cable pull.

Clake do a light lever for K5? I know they do for the KTM’s and Bergs

Come to think of it I think Clake also do a double lever combo. One is the rear brake perch for the left handle bar and other is the light one finger clutch combo lever. This would solve heavy pull with manual clutch and work a treat once you get the rekluse auto.
2000 CT110 Fun!

Offline Pmcg

« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2018, 02:37:05 AM »
     Well I've got to be honest.  I got my Ass Kicked in this enduro.  DNF.  I'm not happy about my performance.  The trails were tight.  Very tight.  PA tight rocky single track.  I was not able to get the bike out of first for most of it.  I banged my bars off of every tree imaginable.  After the first 90 minutes I had arm pump like never before, and had a hard time opening my hand to use the clutch, making feathering it impossible.
      It would be easy to blame the bike, but I know I should have ridden more up to the race, and that I was riding poorly and never found a rhythm.  I'm debating what to do next.  I could get the suspension set, auto clutch, and set up my spare cylinder for more low end.  I wasn't ever lacking power, I just couldn't get the bike to move around enough.  At that point I'm spending around 2k on the bike.
    I got lots of looks and everyone said I was crazy to run a race that tight with the 500.  I looked at specs on a friends 08 KLX450r and his bike is actually heavier!  My riding buddy says I would have finished on his bike but I'm not sure.  If his bike is heavier how in the world would it have been easier to lug around the single track?
     I love the 500 and am addicted to the power.  I also really liked the enduro and have to figure out if I can make the 500 work, or if I need a different bike. 

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
    • OEM-CYCLE QUALITY USED PARTS
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2018, 03:08:07 AM »
Get a clutch puller arm that is 20% longer then stock.
Alex Ward and Jason Tanner make them.
It pulls 20% easier then stock.
Of course the auto clutch would be amazing but I'd still do the puller arm.
You can cut yours and weld in a piece but be careful about going much longer then 20% or it won't work.
If your bars are stock I would cut a full inch off of both ends of the bars.
Way easier in the trees.
The steering will be a bit quicker as well..

Ride ride ride works best for arm pump :-)
The four stroke engine: That's one stroke for producing power and three for wearing the engine out.

Offline umberto

• Administrator
  • First Ride 02-02-19
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2018, 03:20:24 AM »
     Well I've got to be honest.  I got my Ass Kicked in this enduro.  DNF.  I'm not happy about my performance.  The trails were tight.  Very tight.  PA tight rocky single track.  I was not able to get the bike out of first for most of it.  I banged my bars off of every tree imaginable.  After the first 90 minutes I had arm pump like never before, and had a hard time opening my hand to use the clutch, making feathering it impossible.
      It would be easy to blame the bike, but I know I should have ridden more up to the race, and that I was riding poorly and never found a rhythm.  I'm debating what to do next.  I could get the suspension set, auto clutch, and set up my spare cylinder for more low end.  I wasn't ever lacking power, I just couldn't get the bike to move around enough.  At that point I'm spending around 2k on the bike.
    I got lots of looks and everyone said I was crazy to run a race that tight with the 500.  I looked at specs on a friends 08 KLX450r and his bike is actually heavier!  My riding buddy says I would have finished on his bike but I'm not sure.  If his bike is heavier how in the world would it have been easier to lug around the single track?
     I love the 500 and am addicted to the power.  I also really liked the enduro and have to figure out if I can make the 500 work, or if I need a different bike. 
I put the EFM clutch on my bike, and it made a world of difference in the tight stuff.  The clutch pull is beyond light if you need to slip the clutch too; maybe a pinkie finger to use it.  The trails we ride on are tight single track, and it works so well that I sometimes forget I'm riding a 500.  I think it mellows out the bottom end hit a little bit, which would allow you to add a tooth to the back sprocket if you wanted to.  Plus it never stalls unless you try really hard.  It's a bit expensive, and requires some modification to the back brake pedal and clutch cover (be sure to leave the an extra 1/2" in when you modify the cover), but I have not regretted it one bit so far.

17 KX250F/04 KX250
05 KX 125/144

Offline WRXBRUMBY

« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2018, 10:49:23 PM »
Get a clutch puller arm that is 20% longer then stock.
Alex Ward and Jason Tanner make them.
It pulls 20% easier then stock.
Of course the auto clutch would be amazing but I'd still do the puller arm.
You can cut yours and weld in a piece but be careful about going much longer then 20% or it won't work.
If your bars are stock I would cut a full inch off of both ends of the bars.
Way easier in the trees.
The steering will be a bit quicker as well..

Ride ride ride works best for arm pump :-)

You have a link to the arm sandblaster? It sounds like it would only increase the enjoyment of a radius x.

From experience, the 650 berg I own was a little twitchy before I put the Rekluse on it and like umberto said it really mellowed out the hit once installed. I can’t wait to sort out the avenue of a 2 piece clutch cover and see how the Rekluse goes on the K5.

Pmcg I used to have to hook my fingers over the clutch and pull it in with my arm instead of pulling it with my fingers due to my arm pump, it was a laugh a minute hehe. I wished I had the Radius x for it back then but all they had was the Core EXP that would make you lose clutch plates from the pack.

We have some great options now with no sacrifices but I suppose it just depends on your wallet. For me personally I will spend what it takes to keep me on the KX500. But that 20% arm would be a start. Did you check out the Clake lever?

« Last Edit: September 17, 2018, 11:06:45 PM by WRXBRUMBY »
2000 CT110 Fun!

Offline Pmcg

« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2018, 12:43:59 AM »
Well I made the move.  I sold the 500 and picked up an 08 KLX450R.  The 450 already had the suspension set to my weight and the Rekluse installed.  I only get out once a week, and the 2 times I've taken the 450 I've been twice as fast with half the effort.  I am sure with a revalved suspension and Rekluse in the 500 I would have been close, but I bought the 450 for what I sold the 500 for, so no additional cash.  My riding is all tight rocky woods.  If I ever get the chance to ride more open fire roads and desert I would pick up another 500 in a heart beat.  For now its auto start and auto clutch for me!

Offline umberto

• Administrator
  • First Ride 02-02-19
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2018, 11:26:41 AM »
There’s no law that says you can’t have two (or more) dirt bikes.  :evil:

17 KX250F/04 KX250
05 KX 125/144