Author Topic: KX5 Resale Value  (Read 5644 times)

Offline YUNGGUNNAZ

KX5 Resale Value
« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2005, 10:58:21 AM »
i had a friend get a dissassembled 89 from a forum member and i put it together for him and in 1 month i brought it for 500.00.had another one a 99 i could of gotten for 1000.00 but he let his nephew fix it up.here when we go to the dirt drags the 500 class bring people to the fence like the top fuels.tough class with cr's yz's but they leave with green nightmares.

Offline KXcam22

KX5 Resale Value
« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2005, 03:10:29 AM »
In Canada the used prices are also quite low. I think the big KX appeals to the afficianados or the older ex-racers like myself who crave the power and know what to do with it.  While I don't have any sand up here to speak of, I can understand the KX's huge appeal in the dunes.  Most of the guys I meet riding shake their head at first, but then take a long second look after they catch up.  Anyone who I let ride the KX (especially since it is nicely dialed in) becomes a believer.  With the 92 rear fender and a fancy graphics not many recognize it as a 500.  After my 12 year rebuild when it was still clean and shiny, some 4-stroke fool even thought it was a new bike. Cam.

Geoff

KX5 Resale Value
« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2005, 08:52:09 AM »
This bike is a man eater. I've only ridden mine about 4 times, but every time it gets better. I thought it was fast, until I put a new rear tire on it. I'm riding in the wet conditions in New Zealand, and now all the uncontrollable wheelspin is gone and the front wheel is aiming for the clouds. I've found the most dangerous times are when I get tired and my wrists get lazy and I start leaning on the throttle. Just by blipping the throttle you can flip one of these things. A friend of mine has just purchased a new CRF 450X. He hasn't has a chance to go riding yet, but came round to have a look at my bike. He was amazed that after one trail ride my new back tire was looking shreaded. I'm looking forward to making that 450 look like old technology. If these bikes were released with new plastics and a new frame, revised ergos, and the power was smoothed out when they were released from the factory, they could restart the 2 stroke revolution. If all the aftermarket parts can make these things more manageable, then the factory should wake up, release a better 500.

Offline Timbowe

KX5 Resale Value
« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2005, 05:59:42 PM »
Ahh you just need to ride more often Geoff! What are doing this sunday? We're going up to Blue Mountain Station. Keen? The rocks up there will really root that back tyre!
KX500
Weapon in the hands of the Master

smasheromalley

KX5 Resale Value
« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2005, 04:03:54 AM »
If I could add 2c to this.
Its not just the k5 but cr500s as well as the old rm500 I used to have that are tough to get money for. If you dont already have one just about everybody you ask will say 500s are crap for trails. They always says they are uncontrollable/youll kill yourself, etc.

IMO if you jump off a smaller bike they feel crazy. But its like anything, you just need to get used to it.