Author Topic: Ordered FMF Gnarly, Suggestions appreciated  (Read 3022 times)

Offline Danger4u2

• Administrator
  • KX500 is Danger4u2 Returning from light speed pic.
    • KXRiders.com
Ordered FMF Gnarly, Suggestions appreciated
« on: October 17, 2005, 03:49:24 AM »
I ordered a FMF Gnarly pipe, e-line Kevlar pipe protector, and the Power Core Silencer. Any suggestions as far as what I should do before they get to the house? Jetting suggestions? FMF offers jetting suggestions, but I thought members might have the real world scoop on my stock '04' K5.

Thanks,

Danger
KX 500 Rider

Offline alan

• Administrator
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2005, 04:37:29 AM »
I have one! I think for the desert they are the best! I am not sure what jetting changes I made for the pipe, because I also installed a reed spacer at the same time! :D

Alan :)
Sand - Dirt - Dunes = Fun
       04- 700V - 01- KX500
        08 TeryX 2012 KX450F

Offline Danger4u2

• Administrator
    • KXRiders.com
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2005, 08:54:34 AM »
Quote from: alan
I have one! I think for the desert they are the best! I am not sure what jetting changes I made for the pipe, because I also installed a reed spacer at the same time! :D

Alan :)

What does the reed spacer do? I know it moves the reeds back, but what does it do physically to make more horse power. What reeds are you running?
Thanks
Danger
KX 500 Rider

Offline Timbowe

RE: Ordered FMF Gnarly, Suggestions appreciated
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2005, 01:00:36 PM »
Reed spacer shifts the torque lower down the rev range. You do lose a little of the top end, but with a 500 thats no biggie anyway. The broad spread of power certainly makes up for the top end loss. I run mine spacer with a Vforce cage and Gnarly with power core also. Only 1 size up from standard main. I also run a Irridium NGK plug and decent fuel mix [Good syn oil]. For me this is 1 sweet set up. Both my kX's have run this combo. It really makes a very good engine so much better.
KX500
Weapon in the hands of the Master

Offline KXcam22

RE: Ordered FMF Gnarly, Suggestions appreciated
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2005, 04:25:01 PM »
As I understand it, a reed spacer pulls the tips of the reeds back out of the transfer port flow which reduces turbulence (at the reed tip) and increases flow at low rpms. The increase of the intake volume could also have some effect.  Timbowe's setup is just about optimum for the KX. Mine is almost the same except I am running the Boysen dual-stage reeds. I agree, it really does make a very good engine better. Cam.

Offline alan

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2005, 12:25:04 AM »
You guys could do a search on reed spacers in the forum. We have beat this topic to death! The bottom line is that it is the single best mod you can do with the lowest cost and the most benefits! It does change the torque curve, you can ride 1 gear higher without fowling plugs or bogging down! I just simply couldn't believe what a difference it makes!

Alan :D
Sand - Dirt - Dunes = Fun
       04- 700V - 01- KX500
        08 TeryX 2012 KX450F

Offline Danger4u2

• Administrator
    • KXRiders.com
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2005, 05:42:38 AM »
Thanks for your replies, and thanks for any more info someone might submit. Looks like reed spacer is next. UPS just got here with my Gnarly pipe and Power Core. I'm not going to install the pipe until eline pipe protector arrives, all ready have dent in stock pipe.

Thanks again,

Danger
KX 500 Rider

Offline barryadam

« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2005, 08:51:36 AM »
I've tried several searches and read a BUNCH of posts, but don't see anything difinitive on the best thickness to make the reed spacer.  I've seen 10mm, and 1/2" raw material call-outs.  Anyone actually measure Moose's thickness?  Does it make any real diference other than a bit less cramped for the carb/airbox boot?

B
"I hate heli-coils. They are like hospice for motorcycle parts."- BDI

Offline hughes

• Dirt Hammers
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2005, 12:02:12 PM »
I made mine out of 3/8 alumn. flat stock. Moose is 10mm which is close enough to 3/8.
Open Class 2-Stroke Kawasaki KX500
Yamaha 2005 YZ250
Richard Hughes
Dirt Hammers - Online Off-Road Journal
hughes@dirthammers.com
http://www.dirthammers.com

Offline KXcam22

« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2005, 03:01:48 PM »
Hughes is right. The moose is 10mm (3/8"). I built a 1/2" one and it is marginally too thick to fit on. Mine barely fits on - the carb almost hits the frame. From experience I would suggest no bigger than 3/8". Cam.