Author Topic: Kickstart is not turning the engine over  (Read 4125 times)

Dioxide211

Kickstart is not turning the engine over
« on: September 14, 2005, 02:07:32 AM »
When I start my bike the kickstart does not always engage. It will kick with no resistance and it will not turn the bike over. If I monkey with it a few times it will catch and then i can fire the bike up. Anyone have any idea what part is worn or broken inside? Any info would be appreciated.

afritts4u

RE: Kickstart is not turning the engine over
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2005, 05:04:25 AM »
Check out other post on this subject. I just baught a new kicker and wow what a difference. If all other mechanics are well it is probably mounted too far back on the splined shaft.  Just pop off the allen bolt at the bace and rotate it forward as far as it can go without hitting the pipe or getting in the way. Somehow this makes it catch easier? Good luck.

Dioxide211

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2005, 06:14:22 AM »
I did a search on the subject but did not really see anything that was similar to my problem other than the guy that thought the tranny oil was causing the problem. I can swap to a different type of oil but I doubt this will fix it because my bike will do this even when it is hot. The kickstart is mounted properly as far as I can tell, when it catches I can fire it up in 1-3 kicks pretty much every time (assuming the kickstart engages).

The good news is that it must not be a chronic problem or there would be way more threads on this issue. When I pull the case off to have it welded I will take a look around for any obvious problems, any input as to what to look for would really be appreciated. Thanks again..................Dioxide

Offline hughes

• Dirt Hammers
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2005, 06:39:29 AM »
I would be checking for any wear on the kick start gears and the ratching gear. There is also two springs involed. It will make alittle more scent after you get it apart. I have not had this problem as to this date.
Open Class 2-Stroke Kawasaki KX500
Yamaha 2005 YZ250
Richard Hughes
Dirt Hammers - Online Off-Road Journal
hughes@dirthammers.com
http://www.dirthammers.com

Offline Danger4u2

• Administrator
  • KX500 is Danger4u2 Returning from light speed pic.
    • KXRiders.com
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2005, 07:25:58 AM »
I have had a problem like your talking about since the day I bought my '04 new. I will go to kick it and it will just free wheel. I can feel it try to engage, it's like the teeth aren't meshing proper. If I was racing the bike, it would be a big issue. I've got used to it not engaging. When it doesn't engage I just lift my foot and push down slow untill I feel it engage then I give it a swift kick. I would like to know what you find out. I don't want to pull my case unless it gets real bad. Thanks,
                                  Danger
KX 500 Rider

Offline Timbowe

RE: Kickstart is not turning the engine over
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2005, 12:51:11 PM »
I had this same issue with my 92. Worn gears in there. Got so bad in the end it was'nt possible to flick it to make them mesh. So replaced the gear. But you can file the teeth to make sharper edge. But the part was cheap compared to the frustration of getting caught out with no kicker.
KX500
Weapon in the hands of the Master

Dioxide211

« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2005, 04:49:18 AM »
Thanks for the info guys, I will start my search there

kawdude

« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2005, 01:37:27 PM »
It's either the spring or the spline.  Mine does the same thing, however when it's warm it works fine.  I believe the shop manual says to put some grease in the case where the shaft sits.  Don't!  I works onto the spline and make the mechanism sticky.