Author Topic: Lights and Clutches  (Read 3041 times)

Offline Pmcg

Lights and Clutches
« on: July 30, 2018, 04:08:08 AM »
I've been getting to ride a lot more lately.  Really liking the KX500 in the woods.  It climbs better than any bike I have ever ridden.  A few tweaks I need to make and was hoping for some feedback. 

First the Acerbis headlight I have is awful at night.  I went out Friday after work and ended up riding the last few miles in the dark.  The headlight gets blocked by the front fender so I couldn't see the trail at all.  I have the Penton ignition so I can power more.  Anyone recommend a better setup.  I want to see the trail but am worried about breaking anything that's too big when I go down. 

I am looking into an auto clutch.  I see that EFM will auto fit.  I was against them but see a huge advantage in the tight rocky NJ trails.  Any one run one? 

Pretty cool sunset

Offline umberto

• Administrator
  • First Ride 02-02-19
Re: Lights and Clutches
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2018, 04:28:05 AM »
I've been getting to ride a lot more lately.  Really liking the KX500 in the woods.  It climbs better than any bike I have ever ridden.  A few tweaks I need to make and was hoping for some feedback. 

First the Acerbis headlight I have is awful at night.  I went out Friday after work and ended up riding the last few miles in the dark.  The headlight gets blocked by the front fender so I couldn't see the trail at all.  I have the Penton ignition so I can power more.  Anyone recommend a better setup.  I want to see the trail but am worried about breaking anything that's too big when I go down. 

I am looking into an auto clutch.  I see that EFM will auto fit.  I was against them but see a huge advantage in the tight rocky NJ trails.  Any one run one? 

Pretty cool sunset

I have the EFM on my bike, and I absolutely love it.  I can't recommend it enough.  You can still use your lever, and the clutch pull is beyond light.  It does seem to hook up a lot quicker than the Rekluse in my 250, which is nice.  The only issue you run in to is that you have to space your clutch cover out 1/2", and you'll need a two piece cover to get that done.  If you convert your existing cover to two piece, you can just cut the cover 1/2" higher than you need for the stock clutch and you're good.  Sandblaster sells the adapters to make it two piece using a KX450F clutch cover.
Perhaps I have a dirt bike addiction?

03 KX 250/88 KX 525/2017 KX250F - Goliath
17 KX250F/04 KX250
04 KX 250 - Lunchbox's Bike
05 KX 125/144

Offline 1901306708

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2018, 02:55:44 PM »
i run two of these trail tech 70mm with my penton. one on the fender and one up near the bars.

there is some power to spare, and they are pretty bright for nightriding.

https://www.trailtech.net/led-aux

towards the end of this vid you can get a little idea of how bright they are. although the one on the fender is under the snow most of the time. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PVB5AjpcDA8

whatever you do, dont get that penton wet. maybe not a problem for what you are doing, but i've fried two due to it.

Offline Pmcg

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2018, 08:11:01 AM »
That video is badass.  Looks like a blast to ride.  I may give that light a try.  I ran through some deep puddles last ride and noticed that I lost the rubber grommet that seals the stator cover where the wires exit.  I'll make sure to seal it up before the next ride.  Thanks Again!!

Offline 1901306708

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2018, 01:49:58 PM »
Once it’s wet it’s too late

Off topic here but I’ll give you a run down on my experience. It can take a little water, but once it’s seen a fair amount I think the water gets into the windings. In my case once that happens and my coolant temp got up to around 175F the stator will then fail. It must be the point where the temp inside the stator cover is able to turn the water to steam and it shorts out. Tried drying them in the off season, bags of rice, nothing works. Now I just have a couple I swap out and I bake them in the oven for awhile so if they are going to fail, it’s not somewhere I need a helicopter ride out of.