Author Topic: Cerakote for piston tops, exhaust chambers, ect does it really work?  (Read 3921 times)

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
    • OEM-CYCLE QUALITY USED PARTS
The four stroke engine: That's one stroke for producing power and three for wearing the engine out.

Offline 1901306708

coating piston domes was all the rage in the big hp sled game back in the late 90's early 2000's. then it kinda went away. not sure why

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
I know the theory has merit.
Keeping the the piston, head, and cylinder cooler by using a thermal barrier and shoving the heat out of the pipe should have several benefits.
The pipe will get hotter as more of the heat is shoved out the cylinder.
But that will improve scavenging as you are changing the wave speed in the pipe.
You should also keep the engine cooler longer which all by itself keeps that fresh early power longer.
That is the hoopla, but does it really work?
Let's take a walk down memory lane...
Remember when windowing the KX500 piston was the big rage?
Why?
Because on the land speed bike, the piston crown was getting very hot and needed to be cooled.
Adding the window gained 3HP on the dyno so of course everyone wanted it.
It wouldn't really help most stock bikes or trail riders but Supermoto or desert guys could use it.
Due to the current round of engine mods I'm experimenting with I could use the extra cooling but, I can't use a window...
So, let's try it and see what we get  8-)

Here is a couple of pics for your enjoyment..

Jason Meyer CR500 Expert. I know, I know, it's a valve slinger but some of the principals are the same..

Alex Ward KX500 Guru

The four stroke engine: That's one stroke for producing power and three for wearing the engine out.

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
Piston top is blasted with Aluminum Oxide at 40 psi.
It now has a nice etched surface.
A quick scrubbing with some acetone and it will be ready for Cerakote.

Offline 1901306708

Yup your theories are all correct. Not sure what ever happened to it.

Something also to look at is if the heat isn't allowed to go into the aluminum it could result in higher temp of the actual charge air mixture and or the actual surface of whatever is coated. which could be bad.

Threw a window in a piston. Will dyno some time later this summer I suspect.