Author Topic: Two-Stroke Oil?  (Read 5443 times)

Rowdy-Yates

Two-Stroke Oil?
« on: October 01, 2005, 06:03:06 AM »
Hey all I was wondering what the Pros and cons of both castor based and synthetic two-stroke oils? I currently use Blendzall green label. I know when I was younger I used Belray MC-1. I was doing some research and was wondering if castor based was for the older steel cylinders? I have a plated cylinder and was wondering if I should switch to a synthetic. :P

hoopty

RE: Two-Stroke Oil?
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2005, 08:36:49 AM »
I use Amsoil Pro 100 @ 100:1 and have no problems for the two years I've been using it. Before that I ran Maxima 927 Castor and every topend was early due to the rings sticking in the lands and the power valves getting all gummy. Not sure if that is all castor based oils or just Maxima though.

Offline Timbowe

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2005, 10:06:34 AM »
The Ams 100 is sweet as! I've used it in one form or another for near on 20 years. At the mo tho I'm using thier 50:1 cause the local Ams importer went out of business and I scored three cartons of this 50;1 stuff. Then then a another outfit has taken over the importation and the 100 is available again. So once this 50 is used or onsold I'll be back into the 100 for sure.
KX500
Weapon in the hands of the Master

Offline Johnniespeed

• The Thrill of Speed overcomes the fear of Death.
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2005, 01:56:53 PM »
Thanks Rowdy for bringing this up, I could learn from others wisdom.  I really dont know that much about two stroke oils. On all my old old dirt bikes I used Golden Spectro, I never ever had a piston failure. On my KX500 the dealer told me to use something synthetic to keep the power valves clean. I have been using Klotz R-50 at 32:1 for over a year I have put 180 gallons of fuel through my bike, runs great and never fouled a plug. I have not had the topend apart yet but have been thinking about having a look inside.  I know I could mix it 50:1 but I run this engine real hard and feel the extra lubrication wont hurt as long as the plug stays clean.
Spring is here and the Mighty 500 wants to ride.
 2004 KX500 E16
 Michigan has the best groomed and mapped trail system, check out the Cycle Conservation Club of Michigan trail maps.

Offline hughes

• Dirt Hammers
Two-Stroke Oil?
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2005, 03:51:33 PM »
If you guy's would just use Yamaha's 2R and add Yamaha's Ring-Free you would not need to worry about all this stuff. Inspect your top end and then run a couple of tank's mixed with Yamaha 2R with ring free and then inspect again. I promise you good clean results. No Carbon.
Open Class 2-Stroke Kawasaki KX500
Yamaha 2005 YZ250
Richard Hughes
Dirt Hammers - Online Off-Road Journal
hughes@dirthammers.com
http://www.dirthammers.com

Offline KXcam22

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2005, 03:52:07 PM »
JS,
  Look around the site. There are some really good threads on oil. I am a Belray MC-1 fan.  Raced for years with it at 85:1. Now I run it at 60:1 in my K5. Got tremendous life out of the top end with perfect power valves.  Castors smell cool but the gum in the rings is a definite issue. Synthetic all the way in my books.  Lots of good oils out there.  Keep in mind that more oil is not always better. Oil burns hotter than gas, so excess oil will cause your bike to run hot.  You just need enough to lubricate. My 2 cents. Cam.

Offline barryadam

Two-Stroke Oil?
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2005, 04:37:20 AM »
Cam's right.  The smell of Castor is somehting that brings back fond memories of days long past.  But it used to have a tendancy to gum stuff up, and fill your entire exhaust with spooge.  Don't know about hte modern blends, though.

I recently swithced to Yamaha 2R and will have to look for that Ring Free.

Barry
"I hate heli-coils. They are like hospice for motorcycle parts."- BDI

Offline hughes

• Dirt Hammers
Two-Stroke Oil?
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2005, 11:03:15 AM »
Yamaha's Ring Free is marketed at the marine industry. Find a Yamaha marine dealer. Ring Free can be used in any 2-stroke or 4-stroke engine. That Yamaha 2R is some of the cleanest buring oil.
Yamaha 2005 YZ250
Richard Hughes
hughes@dirthammers.com

Offline machine

Two-Stroke Oil?
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2005, 03:32:57 PM »
What's the diff. between "Ring Free" and Sea Foam"????

Offline hughes

• Dirt Hammers
Two-Stroke Oil?
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2005, 07:27:18 AM »
Ring Free and Sea Foam do the same things for cleaning and preventing carbon build up. Ring Free was developed by Chevron Fuel company. I have seen the results of ring free. I have never used Sea Foam or Don't know any history behind it. Chevron fuel has ring free in it that they call Techron. Yamaha just markets Techron under a different name.

Machine,

I know you have been using ring free. Have you inspected your top end??
Yamaha 2005 YZ250
Richard Hughes
hughes@dirthammers.com

Offline 5dracing

Two-Stroke Oil?
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2005, 07:37:59 AM »
Using AMS oil, Dominator at 32:1.
The torch has been passed; Father to Son. He is faster!!!

Offline machine

Two-Stroke Oil?
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2005, 10:31:00 AM »
hughes; sadly I have only been riding once since you sent me the ring free. 2 boys that are 3-1/2, and 2 years old, the wife has some big time control on what I'm doing on the weekends.
But for me, the seasons just starting here.
Starting to cool dowm in the high deserts now.
I'm supposed to be going this weekend, but my youngest boy is sick today, and it was supossed to be a family trip this weekend.
I don't think I'll be making it again!!!

DAM IT!!! :cry:

Offline KXcam22

Two-Stroke Oil?
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2005, 03:48:42 AM »
Hughes,
  Since all I run is Chevron 94 gas, I must be using the ring free without knowing it. After doing lots of streetbike touring and having problems with all kinds of gasoline, I settled on Chevron as the best (with Shell as the worst - try evaporating some in a glass jar and see what you get).  It's all we run now in everything, with good results. I didn't know about the techron/ring free thing. Cam.

Rowdy-Yates

Two-Stroke Oil?
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2005, 12:21:54 PM »
Hey everyone. I have to speak up again. Sorry. I was told long ago not to use chevron gas in a two-stroke because it had some sort of cleaner in it.  It sure made sense to me. Lube the cylinder not clean it. Anyways Back to my original question. It sounds like castor based oils used to gum things up.

Offline KXcam22

Two-Stroke Oil?
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2005, 06:36:33 AM »
RY,
  That's interresting about the cleaner. It's possible that all gas (other than race gas) has some type of cleaner in it now days for fuel injection.  The chevron has been great for me.  Yes the castor oils do gum up the rings. Castor is a holdback to the old days where we used to rebuild the top ends way more.  Watercooling, metalurgy and synthetic oils have brought us a long way.  Sure smells neat though - nothing like it. Cam.