Author Topic: Broken Pipe Mount Question.  (Read 5386 times)

woodsy

Broken Pipe Mount Question.
« on: April 12, 2003, 01:41:03 PM »
I just finished a big cross country rip on my KX500.  While doing PM I noticed that the pipe mount under the tank (it is a very small mount that is on top of the pipe) is broken loose.
I am sure that many of you have experienced the same problem.  WHat have you folks done about it?  If left unrepaired will it cause other pipe mount fractures?  
Any suggestions?
Thanks
Woodsy

moburki

« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2003, 01:58:47 AM »
yes, it will break at other mounts next if you don't fix it. they all break there. i found that out on this site. i brazed a piece of 1/4 inch thick, one inch wide peice of steel to the frame. i put a small bend at the top of the new mount to make it contact the frame better, i located it, and then ground a radius on the surface that would be brazed to the frame. it kind of wraps from the side of the frame to the top.works great. now i'm just waiting for the upper sub frame mounts to go.... :?
mo

Offline alan

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2003, 11:53:39 AM »
I am gettng really tired of replacing mounts also! :evil:

I am thinking about trying a differnt style of vib mount.

Check out these vib mounts on page 1211 in the mcmaster karr site.

http://www.mcmaster.com/

I am thinking about trying the Silicone Cylindrical Sandwich Mounts

because the are hi temp. 300F

I think the OEM style is way to brittle!

They couldn't be any worse than the OEM's :roll:

Alan
Sand - Dirt - Dunes = Fun
       04- 700V - 01- KX500
        08 TeryX 2012 KX450F

Rick

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2003, 02:05:01 AM »
I, too, have repaired my under tank pipe mount by using 1/4 inch flat bar that wrapped around to the other side of the frame.  I used a socket the same diameter as the frame to pursuade the steel to the correct radius.  The difference is that I use a wire feed to attach the new mounting strap.  I also drilled and tapped the bolt hole so is would work just like the old mounting point, and then painted green to match the frame.  

On me '02, I took a different approach.  I swapped to the Ty Davis tank/pipe kit that takes the KX250 plastic, and have never had another problem with any relating to mounts on the pipe.  A $400 solution...

Rick

mikesmith

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2003, 08:15:02 AM »
Im not know if you mean the mount thats part of the frame(if so your covered with the posts above)or the rubber mount.Ive had all the rubber mounts break(one came apart when I was welding by it,so even though it can take some heat get it hot  enough and it'll seperate)my dealer wants $40.00 apiece,to much in my opinion.So I used a piece of aluminum stock(flat bar),drilled a hole at each end,cut a piece of heater hose around"1 wide and "1 wide fuel hose,put the smaller diameter hose into the heater hose (I used some silicone spray its a tight fit)a bolt through the bar,rubber and pipe,and mounted it.Laugh if you want,but I saved$120.00,and have had no problems with it.I always have lost the nuts on the mounts,even with lock tight,so I use some safety wire nekt to the nut,end of problem.Safety wire tool is nice to have,I use it for my drain plug ,ect.

DrMojo

Parts
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2003, 09:35:49 AM »
:idea:  You can buy the mounts for $14.00 or so from bikebandit.com  I have ordered parts from them and the service is great.  Go to Buykawasaki.com and get the OEM part number and then find it at Bikebandit.  

Al 8)

DrMojo

More.......
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2003, 09:38:29 AM »
Here is the part info at Bikebandit.com

92160: DAMPER,MUFFLER,FR 1921-001   $13.95

mikesmith

« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2003, 09:55:44 PM »
Thanks,Im always looking for the best price,my dealer should be ashamed.

woodsy

« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2003, 02:56:18 AM »
THANK YOU all for the great responses!   Gotta love this site!
My initial question was in reference to the frame mount under the tank but ALL the other info is greatly appreciated too!
Thanks again!
Woodsy

Offline Paul

• Top Dawg
    • KX Riders
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2003, 03:42:22 AM »
Glad we could help a brother out.  :D

If you guys have good weblinks like the BikeBandit that DrMojo posted by all means go under the weblinks section and submit them.