Author Topic: KDX 220R need assistance on lighting...  (Read 14587 times)

Offline Ims Roll

• Ride safe, Ride hard
KDX 220R need assistance on lighting...
« on: May 31, 2017, 01:32:38 AM »
Okay I have searched around quite a bit now as I try to answer my own questions before asking but it is what it is.

One of my favorite bikes in my life is my KDX 220, 100% stock with the exception of some light port work done.

So for fun this weekend I am going to race the ol' girl at a local MRAN night race for s**ts n' giggles. My question is, can I pull the Baja Designs squadron Pro off of my Beta and run it on my KDX? Baja designs says my light has a draw of about 40w A/C and from what I can find the mighty KDX has an output of 45W, is the 5W enough to run everything else like the tail light and spark?

My Beta I have just built a wire harness to run from the battery to the light with an inline switch to manually turn it on and off as I have it where I can move it to several different bikes. But the KDX does not have a battery, can I just plug the light into my KDX and see if it will run it or will I run a chance of hurting the light?

I have a few bitchin helmet lights that will serve me well enough to race but my headlight is quite a bit better.
The 2-smoke runs deep in this one...

Offline SS109

• KDX fanatic!
Re: KDX 220R need assistance on lighting...
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2017, 12:56:04 PM »
The stock KDX stator is 35-40 watts max. You could run it straight AC since the manufacturer says it's ok. Just expect it to flicker and be really dim at idle but will be decent at rpm. No, it should not hurt the light other than it being dimmer.
'90 KDX 200 (rebuild - DONE!) - '94 KDX 250 (soon to be a KDX250af)