Author Topic: Openclassexpert's KX500 rebuild  (Read 5741 times)

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
    • OEM-CYCLE QUALITY USED PARTS
Openclassexpert's KX500 rebuild
« on: September 20, 2017, 02:37:44 AM »
Here is what he started with..

The four stroke engine: That's one stroke for producing power and three for wearing the engine out.

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
Re: Openclassexpert's KX500 rebuild
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2017, 02:39:01 AM »

The four stroke engine: That's one stroke for producing power and three for wearing the engine out.

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2017, 02:39:58 AM »

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2017, 02:41:05 AM »
New parts  8-)

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2017, 02:42:01 AM »

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2017, 02:43:04 AM »

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2017, 02:44:09 AM »

Offline Openclassexpert

« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2017, 11:38:22 AM »
A huge thanks to sandblaster for posting & putting these pics together, it is my son's 1998 KX500 and it wasn't much when he traded for it, I am working on modified seat brackets so the 450f rear fender looks perfect as it will allow me to move the fender forward & flush with the seat.

If you have questions I will try to answer them, I am anxious to start my own build with a couple of very good builders just wanted the boy to have a start on his.

He still needs the white decals put on his new side panels as one poster was correct on finding white panels, it is impossible so the decals are here just need them put on & UFO white front plate then graphics until winter when the bike will come apart for detailed rebuilding.

Offline Openclassexpert

« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2017, 11:46:46 AM »
Anyone curious about the Pro X billet basket I can't comment on how long it will last but it is a nice basket very well made & the springs having 10% more tension is a nice touch, function is flawless.

Pro X sent us pressure plate, inner hub, springs, steels & fibers, basket, kaw shop was source for all new hardware.

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2017, 02:01:47 PM »
Your doing a nice job.
You might want to consider a extended clutch puller arm.
You can reduce your clutch pull by 20% or more

Offline Openclassexpert

« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2017, 05:09:05 PM »
 I seen that & it is going to be part of his winter rebuild, that is a nice looking piece on your bike, once my son puts a true day of riding in with pops leading the way :) he'll know why that extension is nice.

Offline Openclassexpert

« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2017, 11:49:30 AM »
        Just in case anyone wonders, the bike had a rad valve in it & we weren't happy with the performance so a moose spacer & VF3 reeds and this is SOP only but it runs much better IMO along with platinum pipe & 304 shortened so it sounds excellent & revs faster IMO feels like it pulls much better mid to high & proper jetting & 40 to 1 amsoil on a 500 you don't need lower end IMO it as enough for everyone.

I love the look of a shorter silencer on my past 500s so I passed it on to my boy, the VF3 fit with and without the reed spacer, the reed stops did have a good amount of pressure on them from the intake,  if anyone was curious but with the moose spacer you will not have any interference from the intake with 16 reed petal VF3.