Author Topic: Buying a new carburetor. Which one?  (Read 8125 times)

Offline 1980mcneil

Buying a new carburetor. Which one?
« on: August 02, 2017, 07:31:20 AM »
So I think my carburetors worn out and long story short I've just decided to pick a new one up since they're only a couple hundred bucks.
I want a carb that is hassle-free and possibly performs better for the trails. Just by reading the forms a little I've come up with just replacing my stock carb, or getting the air Striker quad carb. I only have the standard bolt on mods and I'm not going to be doing anything crazy with my rebuilds. Does anybody have any suggestions? I'd also like to not have to replace a bunch of other components or modify anything. I probably just go with the stock carburetor if that were the case. I don't think the air Striker needs any mods but I could be wrong. If somebody suggest something besides the stock carburetor could you also be kind enough to give me a part number. I noticed the air Striker comes in a couple different versions and I'd like the one that's the least hassle

Thank you
2004 kx500
Accu-products decompression Valve
Powerdynamo heavy flywheel ignition
Pro-Circuit Platinum II / FMF PowerCore 2
Moose racing Reed spacer
Baja design duel sport kit
Plated.
Rekluse

Offline FL_Sharpshooter

Re: Buying a new carburetor. Which one?
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2017, 07:48:13 AM »
I was running a 44mm lectron for a short time. I was never fully satisfied with how it was performing, always seemed to be robbing the bike's hit/power. Like you, I exclusively ride trails. I put on an OEM 2000 CR250 carburetor (38mm PWK airstriker), and changed the jetting and needle. Been running absolutely clean and perfect ever since. You can't go wrong with the 38mm airstriker. I ended up buying two of them (one for my cr500af, and one for my kx500af). Here's the honda part #: 16100-KZ3-J21. I ordered mine from partzilla, they're about the cheapest I've seen.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2017, 08:11:57 AM by FL_Sharpshooter »

Offline motorman455

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2017, 08:13:27 AM »
Also check out jdjetting. He sells new airstrykers with his jet kits already installed for about the same price as a stock new one. I bought a 41mm keihin from him and am totally happy with it. No more of the dreaded decel surging either!

Offline moreccsthanlbs

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2017, 09:08:02 AM »
I put a 38mm AS from JD Jetting on my CR500af. Gave him my riding conditions and it was set up out of the box. I haven't had to adjust anything...literally plug and play. It also came with extra jets and an additional needle.

Offline motorman455

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2017, 09:26:20 AM »
Same here. I tried a different pilot, needle position and main but ended up right back where he set it!

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
    • OEM-CYCLE QUALITY USED PARTS
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2017, 10:56:39 AM »
http://www.oem-cycle.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=108&t=1265

It will add 1 hp to the rear wheel on a completely stock KX500.. That is dyno confirmed.
Also faster throttle response.
The four stroke engine: That's one stroke for producing power and three for wearing the engine out.

Offline 1980mcneil

« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2017, 12:50:03 PM »
Thank you sandblaster and everyone else especially with the JD jetting kit already installed on the air Striker.. I did read that article which is why it went to the top of my list. I just wanted to confirm that it was also reliable and more easily adjusted. I'm not as much concerned about the one horsepower as better trail riding capabilities and ease of jetting. Also low RPM Performance that is better than stock would be great as well. Just looking for something really basic and reliable. Sounds like the air Striker with the JD jetting kit is the way to go. probably going to order one tonight. Anybody have any recommendations for what I tell JD jetting? I was going to buy the carburetor online and just put the bike I have the average elevation, the average temperatures and list the bolt ons that I have and I'm assuming the guys will take care of it? Or does anybody recommend calling them to place my order instead?
2004 kx500
Moose racing Reed spacer
Plated.
Rekluse

Offline 1980mcneil

« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2017, 12:57:03 PM »
I think I'm going to buy the air Striker from JD jetting. Your article mentions blocking off some of the ports or vents of the newer air Striker?
2004 kx500
Moose racing Reed spacer
Plated.
Rekluse

Offline motorman455

« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2017, 02:31:07 PM »
I believe I called and talked to them directly to place my order.

Offline 68Fastback

« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2017, 02:40:16 PM »
I found a 38mm AS for sale locally but it is the "short" version.  While I would love a ahorter airhorn for removal reasons im woried my airbox might not reach it or maybe pull loose while riding if i have to strech it.
2005 CRF250R with 1997 KX500 motor, Talon Hubs, Scott's Stabilizer, IMP Pro Pegs, Acerbis gas tank, folding levers.

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2017, 02:51:41 PM »
I found a 38mm AS for sale locally but it is the "short" version.  While I would love a ahorter airhorn for removal reasons im woried my airbox might not reach it or maybe pull loose while riding if i have to strech it.

Add a 10mm reed spacer :-)   Even more torque
The four stroke engine: That's one stroke for producing power and three for wearing the engine out.

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2017, 02:53:17 PM »
I think I'm going to buy the air Striker from JD jetting. Your article mentions blocking off some of the ports or vents of the newer air Striker?

You do not need to block anything off for the standard body Air Striker.
You only need to block things off if you are using one that uses a Solenoid or a throttle position sensor..

Offline 1980mcneil

« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2017, 07:18:18 AM »
What do you guys think about the smart carb vs the airstriker?  Assume money isn't an issue.  I guess my question is does the SC perform as advertised?  By that I mean install and forget and at least as good as performance as stock?  I saw some Dyno numbers online and they showed pretty much all five carbs being tested on a 250 were within 1hp of each other.  If that is the case and I never have to jet again it's worth an extra$100
2004 kx500
Moose racing Reed spacer
Plated.
Rekluse

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2017, 11:35:20 AM »
As far as jetting goes, I have heard that it performs at all altitudes as specified.
I have never ran one personally but a lot of guys like them for the snow bikes due to high altitude operation.

Offline 1980mcneil

« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2017, 02:47:39 PM »
So I ended up picking up the smartcarb. I have to say first impressions are amazing. Hike fired right up and even though my top end was worn out and I was only getting about 90 PSI compression. The bike already ran fantastic compared to the stock. I fully admit I'm no jetting expert so a lot of my problems could have been user error but really I wasn't looking for any sort of incredible power. Pretty much ran stock settings and really struggled to get the bike to both idle and not surge like crazy. I installed the smartcarb and the bike purred like a kitten and the surging problem that is been plaguing me for months is gone. Maybe it was my jetting, maybe the carburetor was worn out. I'm not sure but it's fixed now. I imagine it'll run even stronger when I get my new top-end installed. That's my bike is for trail riding only. I went with the 38mm cast if anybody's interested or had thoughts of getting one. As far as altitude and temperature changes. About two thousand feet of Varian elevation and about 20 degrees in temperature with no further adjustments needed. So far so good. We'll see What happens when trepanier's really drop this fall. But so far I'm a Believer
2004 kx500
Moose racing Reed spacer
Plated.
Rekluse