Author Topic: '92 K5 "hiccups" during heavy acceleration  (Read 3183 times)

Offline _MERICA

'92 K5 "hiccups" during heavy acceleration
« on: July 10, 2017, 08:09:31 AM »
Hey everyone, new member here with a problem.

I recently rebuilt my K5. New main bearings, Wossner piston, steahly flywheel weight ect....My problem is, that when i'm going WOT the bike seems to miss fire. It's like the spark skips a beat. It's tough to even lift the front end off the ground. The bike runs great low end, but when you wanna blast off to the moon, she sputters intermittently.  

I ordered a "new" CDI off ebay thinking that was the problem, but no fixy.

I'm somewhat concerned that the CDI i got off ebay was junk as well, but not 100% sure.

Would the coil cause this you think? maybe some rust on the stator? I'm stumped, and I dont want to just order parts blindly.

It didnt have this problem before the rebuild, so i'm thinking the problem is human error, but again, i'm not 100% sure.

Thoughs?

Much appreciated!
« Last Edit: July 10, 2017, 08:49:52 AM by _MERICA »

Offline _MERICA

Re: '92 K5 "hickups" during heavy acceleration
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2017, 08:11:12 AM »
Also, i should have included that the powervalves seems to be working fine. I pulled the plastic cover off, and it slides nicely in and out like it should when I give it throttle in neutral.

another tidbit - I disabled the kill switch, removed a "roostboost" box that was connected to the CDI, and checked all the ground connections, and they were good. Still have the "hiccup"
« Last Edit: July 10, 2017, 08:49:35 AM by _MERICA »

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
    • OEM-CYCLE QUALITY USED PARTS
Re: '92 K5 "hiccups" during heavy acceleration
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2017, 09:47:00 AM »
Skipping the Roost Boost.... this article will help you trouble shoot your electrical.

http://www.oem-cycle.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=112&t=1280
The four stroke engine: That's one stroke for producing power and three for wearing the engine out.

Offline 1901306708

Re: '92 K5 "hiccups" during heavy acceleration
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2017, 02:13:02 PM »
try going up on your main.

mine does something very similar on the dyno when its too lean sometimes. never done it in real life though.

worst case its something easy to try.