Author Topic: Interchanging old / new generation KX 85/100 engines and frames  (Read 4606 times)

Offline hibauchery

Does anyone know if pre-2014 KX85/100 engines and exhaust will bolt straight in to a 2014 or later frame?  My kid is ready to move up to the larger wheels/tires/seat height of the KX100.  I have two pre-2014 spare engines that I'd still like to be able to use.  Problem is, 2014 and later KX100's are a lot easier to find in my area than pre-2014 bikes.  Plus, the suspension is better on the later model bikes.  If my last generation engines and exhausts are straight bolt ins for the current generation frames, that's what I'll do.  Can anybody help on this?? 

Offline KXDINO

Re: Interchanging old / new generation KX 85/100 engines and frames
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2017, 08:31:08 AM »
i dont think kawi changed the mounting points , i would measure the mounting points , most of the changes were cosmetic ,cylinder and head and power valve and suspension improvements , even the pipe runs on the same side it might have a different mount , i would not be surprised if that bolts on to , a good eye and a tape measure would tell you.

Offline hibauchery

Re: Interchanging old / new generation KX 85/100 engines and frames
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2017, 10:23:59 AM »
I'm about 80% sure it will work fine, and I can definitely take the measurements, but I was hoping for a "Yep, I did it and everything bolts up exactly right" before I thump down $2500!