Author Topic: Wore notches into the splines on my output shaft, maintenance tips please  (Read 2954 times)

Offline Hawkeye58

Hi Guys,
I'm assembling my '93 "Trench Digger". after a much needed complete reconditioning of the engine.
When I dis assembled it, I discovered notches worn into the output shaft, done by the sprocket, approx. 1/16".
So I had to replace the shaft, in addition to all the other parts for the rebuild.
My question is this:
Now that I have it going back together What method and how often can I maintain the splines?

History: When I bought the bike 3+ years ago the shaft was fine, I oil the chain religiously every ride.
But, I ride desert here in Las Vegas, both Racing and trailing. Hoping to avoid this again. the shaft is getting
rare and was a 155.00 part.
Any thoughts are very much appreciated.

Hawkeye
[url]http://s1067.photobucket.com/user/stevepaxton58/media/20170412_183546_zpsqkuz31hh.jpg.html]
Hi Guys,
I'm assembling my '93 "Trench Digger". after a much needed complete reconditioning of the engine.
When I dis assembled it, I discovered notches worn into the output shaft, done by the sprocket, approx. 1/16".
So I had to replace the shaft, in addition to all the other parts for the rebuild.
My question is this:
Now that I have it going back together What method and how often can I maintain the splines?

History: When I bought the bike 3+ years ago the shaft was fine, I oil the chain religiously every ride.
But, I ride desert here in Las Vegas, both Racing and trailing. Hoping to avoid this again. the shaft is getting
rare and was a 155.00 part.
Any thoughts are very much appreciated.

Hawkeye
http://s1067.photobucket.com/user/stevepaxton58/media/20170412_183546_zpsqkuz31hh.jpg.html
« Last Edit: June 14, 2017, 10:50:35 AM by Hawkeye58 »

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
    • OEM-CYCLE QUALITY USED PARTS
Watch your sprocket to be sure it isn't worn out on the splines.
Once they get worn they start wearing into the output shaft in a hurry.
Sprockets are cheap...
The four stroke engine: That's one stroke for producing power and three for wearing the engine out.

Offline Hawkeye58

Thanks for the insight Sandblaster.
I follow you and REALLY enjoy your info and videos...
You know I'm going to be hovering over that shaft with
TLC after this expensive lesson I learned.
The rebuild was one thing, and a necessary one.
I honestly didn't expect that shaft to be damaged
Like it was. Soooooo, I will watch it close.
Perhaps grease it, each ride prep.

Hawkeye 8-)