Author Topic: Yet another gearing question  (Read 17767 times)

Offline Jeff

Re: Yet another gearing question
« Reply #45 on: July 05, 2017, 11:53:01 PM »
So I ended up purchasing a 51 tooth rear sprocket.  Seen quite a few people online have used them.  Went to put it on and it was to big.  Meaning it hit the black lower chain gauerd.  I didn't want to mod anything but I'm interested in trying this gearing. 
Is it safe to run the bike without the lower chain holder and just use the teflon guides?
What is an easy mod to lower the guide and holders?  Maybe just a plate with some holes drilled in it that drops it an inch?

Thank you

Did you get this figured out? I just bought a 51 tooth rear sprocket as well. How are others running this setup?

Offline 1980mcneil

Re: Yet another gearing question
« Reply #46 on: July 06, 2017, 04:20:26 PM »
I actually haven't figured it out yet unfortunately. To me it looks as though the chain guide just needs to be dropped half an inch or an inch. If you look at the chain guide it attaches to a quarter inch piece of aluminum with three holes in it I believe. Simply making a one inch extension for that out of quarter inch aluminum or Steel would drop it down enough to probably work just fine.  I have a machine shop at work but we've been really busy so I haven't been able to Fab one up real quick. Hopefully in the next week or so and I'll take a picture of then chili and post my results. I know some people have run these sprockets and I was hoping to hear from some of them but I just haven't had any luck yet with it. I'm not going to risk running no chain guard. And the 51 tooth will hit the stockyard. Also with a 13 tooth front sprocket I needed the slightly longer chain to fit 251 and obviously the 53 that I really wanted to put on it
2004 kx500
Accu-products decompression Valve
Powerdynamo heavy flywheel ignition
Pro-Circuit Platinum II / FMF PowerCore 2
Moose racing Reed spacer
Baja design duel sport kit
Plated.
Rekluse