Author Topic: Triple clamp offset, DH1 vs KX250/450F clamps  (Read 3190 times)

Offline Camstyn

Triple clamp offset, DH1 vs KX250/450F clamps
« on: June 05, 2017, 05:01:10 AM »
So I've got a set of forks from a 14 KX250F, along with a nice set of Xtrig ROCS adjustable offset triple clamps to match, and a wheelset from Brett Metcalfe's KX450 race bike from a couple of years ago. I'm aware that I need the Emig stem to make the triple clamps fit, as well as some frame welding for the steering stops.

I read Alex(?) posted something on facebook about finding the KXF triple clamps actually made the bike handle worse, and he recommended a set of DH1 clamps which are made to accept the stock stem, and have an optimal offset.

I'd like to use these Xtrig clamps, but not if they are going to ruin the handling of the bike. My main goal with this build is to get it to handle as good as possible. What's the skinny on the dH1 offset? And what particularly went wrong handling-wise using the KX-F clamps on Sean's bike?

Offline alward25

Re: Triple clamp offset, DH1 vs KX250/450F clamps
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2017, 11:21:27 AM »
We did not use kx 450 clamps on Sean's bike.  The offset of the 450 clamps are designed for the geometry of the AF chassis. Motorrad ran the numbers and also test piloted the 450 clamps on his bike and had to switch to an offset closer to the stock 500 clamp.  Sean's DH1 clamps are the stock 500 offset.
"Let there be light"

Offline Camstyn

Re: Triple clamp offset, DH1 vs KX250/450F clamps
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2017, 02:36:16 PM »
We did not use kx 450 clamps on Sean's bike.  The offset of the 450 clamps are designed for the geometry of the AF chassis. Motorrad ran the numbers and also test piloted the 450 clamps on his bike and had to switch to an offset closer to the stock 500 clamp.  Sean's DH1 clamps are the stock 500 offset.

Good to know, thanks. So what is the stock offset?