Author Topic: School Bus bike hauler .  (Read 22008 times)

Offline kawasaki65

Re: Bus trip to St. Anthony dunes.
« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2011, 03:33:41 PM »
thats a sick bus  :-o :-o

Offline Danger4u2

• Administrator
  • KX500 is Danger4u2 Returning from light speed pic.
    • KXRiders.com
« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2012, 03:19:58 AM »
I never did make my big trip but I'm enjoying the bus using it in state.  I've made a few upgrades, tool boxes, removable wheel chocks for 5 bikes.  3 on the left wall and 2 on the right wall.  I have 2 free standing wheel chocks for use in the isle.  In a pinch I think I could fit 4 bikes in the isle for a total of 9 bikes.  Seating for 7 but only 3 seat belts.  I bought a used Chevy pickup high back front passenger seat with integrated seat belt, couldn't beat $30.00 for ten times the comfort.  The old seat only had a lap belt.

The pickup truck tool box makes a great bench seat.  I put my therm-a-rest and 2 folded quilts on it  to make it my bed.

Boxes are bolted to the floor and wall.

I will belly mount this tool box on the left side behind the battery box.
Picture leaving the welder's shop.  Had 9 holes filled that the PO had drilled from mounting on his truck.

This was an entry deck for an old mobil home a friend bought to story hay in.  He removed the wheels, knocked the walls out and set it on the ground for his storage.He didn't need the deck and called to see if I wanted it.

Perfect fit,  need to mount a vice and a small cooker.  Or better yet a skeet launcher?

Still need to  mount the belly tool box, build undermount spare tire holder and install....................
« Last Edit: December 11, 2012, 03:25:16 AM by Danger4u2 »
KX 500 Rider

Offline ZETTNORCAL

« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2012, 09:18:21 AM »
I frigg'n love the bus.  Hey, when are we doing this trip?  I am ready!

Motorrad

« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2012, 08:27:23 AM »
wow.. Lookin good danger!

I missed this one.. (being a stickie) I tend to skip over stickies....

How do you have that back platform braced?   seems like alot of leverage hanging out there..   with no triangulation...

HAHA.. Typical KLR owner.    Sure you dont want to just leave it on there and use it for luggage?

« Last Edit: December 19, 2012, 08:29:55 AM by Motorrad »

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
    • OEM-CYCLE QUALITY USED PARTS
« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2012, 06:58:35 AM »
wow.. Lookin good danger!

I missed this one.. (being a stickie) I tend to skip over stickies....

How do you have that back platform braced?   seems like alot of leverage hanging out there..   with no triangulation...

HAHA.. Typical KLR owner.    Sure you dont want to just leave it on there and use it for luggage?

It makes wheelies easier  :-D
The four stroke engine: That's one stroke for producing power and three for wearing the engine out.

Offline Danger4u2

• Administrator
    • KXRiders.com
« Reply #20 on: December 24, 2012, 04:46:01 AM »
I will cut the skirt just under the black line and belly mount it behind the battery box.

KX 500 Rider

Offline Danger4u2

• Administrator
    • KXRiders.com
Re: School Bus bike hauler .
« Reply #21 on: July 24, 2013, 02:10:17 AM »

I made time to work on the bus and made some real head way.  I finished the wiring for the lights in the decks bumper.  I'm 2 inches short of the length that requires me to have brake/tail and blinker lights in the decks bumper.  I don't need some over zealous cop pulling me over  just to find out I'm not breaking the rules. So, to stop that problem I installed the lights.  Plus it adds to the safety factor.   Short video of the lights.

The sequencing turn signals give it a cool look. 
http://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/truck-oval-lamps/turn-signal-truck-light-pt-a35-sfa/558/1760/ 

I also replaced all the brake, tail and turn lights on the bus.  These are direct swap. Take off the old, cut the wires, splice in the new wires and screw on the new LED lights.
http://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/truck-bus/sb7-series-round-bus-lamp/566/

For $5 dollars each I added a brake light strobe module to the 2 brake lights on the bus.  If/when I add back up lights in the deck bumper I will add the strobe module to them.
http://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/strobe-controllers/brake-light-strobe-module/195/845/

I ground off all the sharp edges left from cutting the legs from the deck, beefed up some welds and painted.

KX 500 Rider

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: July 24, 2013, 03:57:32 AM »
Looking good Danger!
The four stroke engine: That's one stroke for producing power and three for wearing the engine out.

Offline ID KX500

• Life, Liberty, and The Pursuit of Happiness
« Reply #23 on: July 24, 2013, 11:29:26 AM »
If you're ever going to St.Anthony,,,,I'll be there too,,,even though it's 380 miles now.
"Endeavor to persevere."

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: July 24, 2013, 11:54:02 AM »
St.Anthony? 780 mi for me Due East...  :cry:

Motorrad

« Reply #25 on: July 24, 2013, 12:17:51 PM »
1,007 miles for me.

and just realized I rode a BIG circle around it last year on my motorcycle when I went through there on my Mexico-canida ride.

as its between yellow stone, the tetons, and Pocatello.    all 3 I hit on the bike

Offline Bigtim

« Reply #26 on: July 25, 2013, 01:30:54 PM »
I'll go any weekend. 145 miles from here.  that's why I moved out here :-D