Author Topic: Noisey KIPS is there a fix?  (Read 3257 times)

Offline Johnniespeed

• The Thrill of Speed overcomes the fear of Death.
Noisey KIPS is there a fix?
« on: September 04, 2005, 11:43:22 AM »
My 04kx500 is now one year old and I love this bike.  However that KIPS actuator system has always rattled.  As of today I have put 150 gallons of fuel through it and noticed the kips seems to rattle a little more than usual.
 I was wondering if anyone knows how to make that thing quiet. Are there any upgraded parts or modifications that will silence it.  
  Please help. this noise makes the bike sound bad, but we all know that this is the best bike around.
   Thanks for any replies  John
Spring is here and the Mighty 500 wants to ride.
 2004 KX500 E16
 Michigan has the best groomed and mapped trail system, check out the Cycle Conservation Club of Michigan trail maps.

Offline Johnniespeed

RE: Noisey KIPS is there a fix?
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2005, 01:00:54 PM »
Ok so 46 people looked at this and had no solution. Maybe I diagnosed this wrong. I looked all over this forum to find noise repairs and most had to do with exhaust mounting. I took the pipe off and found the gasket between the pipe and cylinder had worn away. I also found one broken mount and that the pipe has been vibrating against the top of the shock for a while. I replaced the gasket and o-rings, let the pipe hang by its springs, tight against the cylinder, then shimmed and fitted each mount. A little grinding on the shock casting, then off for some riding.  Now the bike is quieter than it was on the day it was new.  Love this bike!!!!  After riding this bike for a year with a flywheel weight I removed it two weeks ago and love the big hit, my arms are now strong enough to handle it.  KX500 Rules!
 2004 KX500 E16
 Michigan has the best groomed and mapped trail system, check out the Cycle Conservation Club of Michigan trail maps.

Offline Timbowe

RE: Noisey KIPS is there a fix?
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2005, 01:02:50 PM »
Viva le KX500!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
KX500
Weapon in the hands of the Master

Offline hughes

• Dirt Hammers
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2005, 01:40:54 PM »
Let's guess the pipe mount under the tank broke. Look at my album a.hughes 87kx500 work in progress. I have some pictures of the new mount I made. I used 1/2 square tubing cut out the back side to fit the contour of the frame welded it all the way around. The sqaure tubing will break like the chessy tab that kawasaki welded on.
Open Class 2-Stroke Kawasaki KX500
Yamaha 2005 YZ250
Richard Hughes
Dirt Hammers - Online Off-Road Journal
hughes@dirthammers.com
http://www.dirthammers.com

mikesmith

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2005, 09:54:27 PM »
Use some high temp silicone on the joint,good to hear you found out the noise.

Offline Johnniespeed

« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2005, 12:19:17 PM »
Just a quick update, I ran 15 gallons of fuel through it this weekend and the noise is completely gone. This engine has not been this quiet ever, not even on day one. I stopped into the dealer I bought it from ( yes they are open on Sundays and located on a trail system) I showed them the bike and told them of the noise, the gentleman said his bike has the same noise, so he is going to take his pipe off and have a look. I am so glad to have that noise gone!!!! By the way, Moose springs hold the pipe tighter than stock springs.
 2004 KX500 E16