Author Topic: Timing? .087 or .086?  (Read 5463 times)

Offline 1980mcneil

Timing? .087 or .086?
« on: April 09, 2017, 08:40:41 AM »
I've seen both being used in the forum. I see nothing on it in the service manual. What is the stock setting?  My bike is stock accept for a pro circuit pipe.  I'll be using a PD ignition.

Thanks for your time.
2004 kx500
Accu-products decompression Valve
Powerdynamo heavy flywheel ignition
Pro-Circuit Platinum II / FMF PowerCore 2
Moose racing Reed spacer
Baja design duel sport kit
Plated.
Rekluse

Offline 1980mcneil

Re: Timing? .087 or .086?
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2017, 04:35:16 AM »
I've been looking through a bunch of threads and have still come to no final answer. I've heard 2.2mm which comes out to .0866.  but the someone made a good point that the plug is at an angle and therefore the actual distance might be further.
I've come to the conclusion that the best way to go about it is to take a reading when the old stator plate and flywheel are lined up and just replicate that measurement when I get the new ignition on.  That should set it to exact stock settings.
2004 kx500
Moose racing Reed spacer
Plated.
Rekluse

Offline Pmcg

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2017, 01:15:55 PM »
I went with an after market mzb ignition so no keyed flywheel. I used a timing dial and found that setting it at .086 or .087 is almost imposible to tell and I don't b leave that I could tell a difference riding the bike between the two. I had some issues with compression being too high so I had moved the timing all over. I'd say aim for .086-.087 and ride it. Good luck.

Offline 1980mcneil

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2017, 04:50:24 PM »
Okay. That eases my mind a little. I have a similar powerdynamo set up and there's a chemical etched line on the flywheel not a dimpled line.  After over an hour of screwing around with it I don't feel confident that it's set 100%.  Only that I'm within + - .005???
It seems impossible the line it up perfectly. It depends on my head angle and eye level When I try to eyeball across it :(  I'm neurotic about things like this and it irritated the hell out of me that I never felt like I could get it one hundred percent. After a headache from squinting for over an hour I finally filled it up and I guess we'll see how it runs. It was really irritating that that's stator plate was slightly recessed behind the flywheel so it made it that much harder to line up. I can only be off by fractions of the degree on the flywheel. I love to hear how other people got this done or if I'm just being way too critical.
2004 kx500
Moose racing Reed spacer
Plated.
Rekluse

Offline Pmcg

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2017, 03:34:54 AM »
I came to the exact same conclusion. I can't believe that anyone can really tell a .001 difference by looking.

Offline 1901306708

« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2017, 02:47:16 PM »
advance it until it wont rev anymore, then back it off a touch. thats where mine makes the most and widest power. i marked the degrees along my stator and do it that way. much easier.

On my bike, running lots of timing made it ping a bit in the midrange. better fuel solves that. or you can decrease the advance until that goes away.

i have had mine as high as 26 degrees. after making the squish band more like a squish band i'm down around 18-20.

dont get hung up on being bang on to some measurement. try it in a bunch of different spots and see what you like.

Offline alward25

« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2017, 01:36:37 PM »
running .086" is the sweet spot on stock to modified engines.  If you are close thats fine.  It takes practice to get it on the gnats butt hair.
"Let there be light"