Author Topic: Wiseco, Wossner, or Pro X Or ???  (Read 15619 times)

Offline 436m

Wiseco, Wossner, or Pro X Or ???
« on: March 22, 2017, 12:29:02 AM »
Millenium has my cylinder ready, but Wossner is out of pistons right now, should I wait or get another brand?

Offline big green

Re: Wiseco, Wossner, or Pro X Or ???
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2017, 01:21:59 AM »
i know most of the guys on here like wossner and that is understandable but I have always had great luck with oem and pro x pistons. I have never felt the need for forged pistons. I am getting ready to send my engine to tom morgan for a complete rebuild and he will be using a cast piston per his recommendation. I am sure there are some situations where forged would be the better way to go but I have been riding dirt bikes all my life and never used one. Not looking to start a pissing match with those who prefer forged just answering your question from my personal history.

Offline Foxx4Beaver

• James Stewart DID NOT invent the scrub!!..JoJo
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2017, 01:29:11 AM »
I myself would wait....I myself will never run Wiseco again, as the last one I got, the ring lands were wavy...and if you ask Motorrad his opinion of Wiseco, he'll give a similar response, and then some!

Another reason I myself could wait, is living in New England, it's still rather cold in the 20's and 30's , and snow on the ground....I could wait easily another 3-4 weeks. 

Who knows...maybe another member on here has an extra Wossner they'd be willing to part with, so you can proceed with your build....give it a little time.
Excuse me, ma'am...but you've got extremely nice legs!!!...what time do they open???                                                                                                               https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8tCgN3aryQ

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
    • OEM-CYCLE QUALITY USED PARTS
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2017, 02:18:04 AM »
As for me and many other builders on this site, (Motorrad, Alward25, JT Engine Works, USMC, KX Guru racing, and many others) we wait for the Wossners.
I have two builds right now waiting.

If you have a stock engine and won't be modding it, and you are a easy rider, you can use a cast and likely will have no issues.
But personally I wouldn't risk it... Especially with what a good rebuild will cost you.

Oh... If you ride like Sean Collier, you'll need to run a Wossner :-)

The four stroke engine: That's one stroke for producing power and three for wearing the engine out.

Offline alward25

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2017, 04:59:46 AM »
Millenium has my cylinder ready, but Wossner is out of pistons right now, should I wait or get another brand?
Ask if they can do it faster if they make it an 88MM.  Those are a little more plentiful.
"Let there be light"

Offline big green

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2017, 10:50:59 AM »
As for me and many other builders on this site, (Motorrad, Alward25, JT Engine Works, USMC, KX Guru racing, and many others) we wait for the Wossners.
I have two builds right now waiting.

If you have a stock engine and won't be modding it, and you are a easy rider, you can use a cast and likely will have no issues.
But personally I wouldn't risk it... Especially with what a good rebuild will cost you.

Oh... If you ride like Sean Collier, you'll need to run a Wossner :-)

well I am not sean collier or jeremy mcgrath or jeff ward but believe it or not i have had my bike in 5th gear and its not stock. I have been in silver lake sand dunes, wide open rail beds in the upper peninsula and tight single track trails as i am fortunate to have it all in michigan. all good. I figured the forged boys would show up. :-D     Run what your comfortable with and enjoy your bike! Cheers!

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2017, 12:11:14 PM »
Lol... U Da Man!  :mrgreen:
The four stroke engine: That's one stroke for producing power and three for wearing the engine out.

Offline Speedway73

« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2017, 12:22:22 AM »
I've rode those same Upper Peninsula wide open rail beds on sleds, bikes and 3 wheelers.

Hold out for the Wossner.   8-)

Offline big green

« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2017, 12:25:54 AM »
 :? If you say so...  I guess i have just been lucky all these years.

Offline big green

« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2017, 12:27:33 AM »
I guess I should also call Tom back and tell him he has no idea what he is talking about and go with another builder.

Offline Larry Wiechman

« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2017, 03:26:11 AM »
There is absolutely nothing wrong with the OEM cast piston.

Offline motorman455

« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2017, 09:38:30 AM »
There are a few std bore wossners on ebay right now

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2017, 12:20:12 PM »
I guess I should also call Tom back and tell him he has no idea what he is talking about and go with another builder.

Tom does excellent work and knows what he is talking about.
I'm sure he won't overbuild you motor so that it would blow your piston.

Offline big green

« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2017, 02:27:17 AM »
Thanks larry. Was just clowning around with the resident"guru".Yes i know there is nothing wrong with cast pistons and i have nothing but supreme confidence in tom as his knowledge on the k5 is second to none.

Offline dave916

« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2017, 04:13:43 AM »
On the subject of forged versus cast pistons, it should be understood that there are pros and cons which are well understood by the Motorcycle manufacturers. Cost is not an issue since the difference at high volumes is negligible. No manufacturer would compromise the performance of a racing bike for a small cost reduction. A forged piston is stronger but cannot not be made from the optimum silicon content alloy and this will require a larger clearance which will always compromise its performance. A further advantage of the high silicon content cast piston is its strength at higher temperatures, particularly at the crown of the piston. This allows a higher compression to be run with a cast piston. Of the four Japanese manufacturers, only Kawasaki has used forged pistons in its two strokes and they abandoned the practice 25 years ago. The highest specific power output achieved by a modern mainstream two stroke is the Honda RS125 G.P. Racer. 50 + h.p. - Yes 400 h.p. per litre (more than an F1 car or a Moto GP bike) and this is using a cast piston (the KTM85 is also close to this performance with a cast piston). Why - because this is the only way to achieve the clearances needed to maximise the power output. A forged piston may perform better when working outside the service limits, but this should not be an attraction for a racer.
A COPY AND PASTE fromhttp://www.mitaka.co.uk/