Author Topic: KX500 compression release valve photos  (Read 7609 times)

Offline quincyman

KX500 compression release valve photos
« on: April 05, 2007, 10:43:50 AM »
Here are the pictures I promised of the Accu Products compression release valve. The only thing I did not include in the photo was the lever and cable that operates the valve. I hope this helps.

Offline gwcrim

• http://profiles.yahoo.com/gwcrim
Re: KX500 compression release valve photos
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2007, 12:43:12 PM »
That is a thing of beauty.  Let us know how you like it.
~Crim~
You raise the blade
You make the change
You rearrange me 'til I'm sane

OrangeDawg

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2007, 03:53:47 AM »
A friend of mine has something like that on his Husky 360. Kick starts like a 125, runs like a 360. His is automatic though, no manual on/off...

:mrgreen:

Offline serafin

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2007, 06:17:17 AM »
Thanks for the pics.  I was really curious how big the vent hole is.  Would you say its a bit smaller than the size of a dime?  How is the finish around the recess?  I'm a bit concerned about the possibility of the piston ring catching.  Thanks again

Serafin   

Offline quincyman

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2007, 06:28:34 PM »
Thanks for the pics.  I was really curious how big the vent hole is.  Would you say its a bit smaller than the size of a dime?  How is the finish around the recess?  I'm a bit concerned about the possibility of the piston ring catching.  Thanks again

Serafin   

The finish is very professional. Absolutely no way the rings can snag this mod. He has been doing this for 30 years.

Offline quincyman

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2007, 05:26:18 PM »
OK guys, I know I started this thread a long time ago. The reason I didn't report how well this valve works is that I purchased a 2000 model carb to replace my aging 1994 carb. I didn't want to put the bike back together and run it on the old carb.

Anyway the guy on eBay took my money and never shipped the carb. Eventually I had to file a complaint with eBay. They took the guy off eBay and finally reimbursed my credit card. I would have rather had the carb. The only thing really wrong with my 94 carb is the slide is starting to loose it's finish.

Two day's ago I put the bike back to together with my old carb. It has been sitting for about 5 months. Turned the fuel on pulled my decompression valve and kicked it about 4 times and it started up. After I got the idle dialed in I took it for a spin and with the newly finished cylinder and piston the bike has more torque than ever. When I rev the bike while standing next to it the back end actually lifts up a bit then settles down.

Back to the decompression valve. Yes it kicks over just a bit harder than my KDX220. So I would say it kicks over like a 125. It also starts up quicker. It seems that with the compression valve pulled and giving it a full kick it spins the crank faster and therefore starts quicker and easier. I love it.

Next comes the Revloc auto-clutch. The only issue I had with an autoclutch before was you can't compression start the bike. Now that the bike kicks over so easy, I'm not worried about compression starts. :mrgreen:

Offline quincyman

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2007, 06:09:31 AM »
I have now taken the K5 w/decompression valve on two single track forest rides. One for 40 miles and another for 55 miles. It was nice at the end of a day of stopping and starting the bike that my knee was not feeling the pain/soreness it normally would have. I should have got this decompression mod 8 years ago when I first heard about it.

Offline 1980mcneil

« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2017, 01:57:01 PM »
Man this is an old thread but maybe you are still around.  What was the power loss like because of the mod? I assume you lost some psi?...
2004 kx500
Accu-products decompression Valve
Powerdynamo heavy flywheel ignition
Pro-Circuit Platinum II / FMF PowerCore 2
Moose racing Reed spacer
Baja design duel sport kit
Plated.
Rekluse