Author Topic: low compression question  (Read 4080 times)

Offline 436m

low compression question
« on: October 20, 2016, 01:05:00 AM »
This is a very generic question, so any help is appreciated. 2000 K5, I bought it used (traded a good running 09 KX450F straight across for it) and am in the process of getting it back in good condition. The kickstarter ratchet slips at times even though I cleaned up the edges on both gears with a small dremel. I am wondering if it having low compression (116lbs) might have any influence on the slipping kickstarter (bike is still very rideable, starts and idles fairly good, but the slide stop screw is almost all the way in). I am going to send the jug to Millenium to be brought back to hopefully standard bore if not then as close as possible. Any input appreciated. Ben  
« Last Edit: October 20, 2016, 02:08:02 AM by sandblaster »

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
    • OEM-CYCLE QUALITY USED PARTS
Re: low compression question
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2016, 02:15:25 AM »
Low compression won't cause the ratchet to slip.
Assuming the ratchet teeth are good, this thrust spring will cause it to slip 92081-097.
Millennium can do amazing things with your cylinder.
Try to get a Wossner piston from them.
The four stroke engine: That's one stroke for producing power and three for wearing the engine out.

Offline 436m

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2016, 03:50:37 AM »
Will do on the Piston, I got lucky and found a new old stock ratchet13078-007 on ebay of all places, still in the pkg. should I replace the gear that it mates with also, looks like they are still available

Offline 436m

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2016, 03:52:29 AM »
Also Sandblaster, my brake pedal is wollered out pretty bad, do the other brake pedals I see you guys converting over to offer anything over a new stock one? They are available for about $75 om RMATV. Thanks, Ben

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
    • OEM-CYCLE QUALITY USED PARTS
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2016, 04:00:46 AM »
Our motto is... If it's worn out replace it... If it looks worn out replace it... If you think it might be worn out replace it... Or something like that :-)

The KX250F rear brake levers are about 1/2" longer then the KX500 levers so you get a bit lighter of a brake feel.
Also, after market KX250F levers are very easy to find so you get cool colors and extra bling.
Try to find a after market KX500 lever  :-o
« Last Edit: October 20, 2016, 05:03:04 AM by sandblaster »
The four stroke engine: That's one stroke for producing power and three for wearing the engine out.

Offline 436m

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2016, 04:15:17 AM »
cool deal, thanks again, Love my K5, I had an 89 model in 89/90, best bike I ever owned