Author Topic: K5 vibrates real bad.  (Read 28280 times)

Offline dirkster

Re: K5 vibrates real bad.
« Reply #30 on: November 10, 2016, 11:03:20 AM »
got the jetting close with the 55 and 168 needle on second from bottom clip.

Offline Foxx4Beaver

• James Stewart DID NOT invent the scrub!!..JoJo
« Reply #31 on: November 10, 2016, 11:10:34 AM »
how's it seem to be running now?...any improvement?
Excuse me, ma'am...but you've got extremely nice legs!!!...what time do they open???                                                                                                               https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8tCgN3aryQ

Offline Foxx4Beaver

« Reply #32 on: November 10, 2016, 11:19:42 AM »
that plug looks a touch lean...is that after a WOT chop with your new settings?
Excuse me, ma'am...but you've got extremely nice legs!!!...what time do they open???                                                                                                               https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8tCgN3aryQ

Offline dirkster

« Reply #33 on: November 10, 2016, 11:21:48 AM »
how's it seem to be running now?...any improvement?
it does run better. but found another problem, about a 4" long crack in the expansion chamber just behind the main mount and a crack near the spring hook. think that could cause some running issues?... i can get the pipe brazed, or i can put jb weld over it since it a bit large and order a new pipe tonight.

that plug looks a touch lean...is that after a WOT chop with your new settings?
that was with the new setting a few wot 1-5 runs think i might do the 170 and set the needle on the 4th notch

Offline Foxx4Beaver

« Reply #34 on: November 10, 2016, 11:25:00 AM »
you could weld the pipe, no problem...I myself, would just take the plunge and buy a new FMF Desert, or PC2 Platinum.

Yeah, I would go with the 170, like I originally mentioned, and try a few more runs.

Offline Foxx4Beaver

« Reply #35 on: November 10, 2016, 11:26:45 AM »
I'm very close to your elevation...

I found for me, the best combo was...

168 Main
52 Pilot
N82T Needle...with clip in the 2nd from top
1 3/4 out on the air screw.

I don't think this will benefit you though.

Offline dirkster

« Reply #36 on: November 10, 2016, 12:07:12 PM »
did the jet change and put in a new plug, decided to go a mile down the road and go up a logging road. did alright besides the vibes comin back down i stalled it and i looked down and the bike f#(king vibrated the bolt that holds the kickstarter on out so no more kick starter and no more bolts holding the muffler on either. i am realy starting to hate this bike.........

Offline Foxx4Beaver

« Reply #37 on: November 10, 2016, 01:08:02 PM »
oh man...don't give up on her...these things require love...
and lots of blue Loctite.

Offline dirkster

« Reply #38 on: November 13, 2016, 12:14:23 PM »
finally found the kickstart in the ditch. took the exhaust off to see the crack its prety big and theres a crack almost all the way around where it connects to the muffler. gunna try and hold off on getting a new exhaust for it till i figure out the engine problem. does anyone know if the stock cdi has a timing curve? cause that could be the problem, the cdi that is on it now is off a late 70s yamaha 400 and is the last thing i can think of that could cause the poor running.

Offline dave916

« Reply #39 on: November 14, 2016, 12:29:55 AM »
finally found the kickstart in the ditch. took the exhaust off to see the crack its prety big and theres a crack almost all the way around where it connects to the muffler. gunna try and hold off on getting a new exhaust for it till i figure out the engine problem. does anyone know if the stock cdi has a timing curve? cause that could be the problem, the cdi that is on it now is off a late 70s yamaha 400 and is the last thing i can think of that could cause the poor running.

You need a cdi [yes it has a timing curve}
The most likely cause of vibration would be a out of true {balance}crank but i would get a proper cdi first

Offline dirkster

« Reply #40 on: November 14, 2016, 05:17:32 PM »
can i use a 89-04 cdi or do i need the 87-89 if there is a difference. the bike is an 87

Offline dave916

« Reply #41 on: November 15, 2016, 07:49:10 AM »
can i use a 89-04 cdi or do i need the 87-89 if there is a difference. the bike is an 87

You would need 87-88 cdi and coil
89on cdi has less wires from stator/ think the 86 is also differant

Offline dirkster

« Reply #42 on: December 09, 2016, 11:24:00 AM »
Finally found a 87 cdi with coil on ebay. only costed $85 100 less than most of the other cdi's that were listed. put it on the bike and what a difference runs perfectly now, just in time for the snow to start falling. gunna put the engine back in the quad frame for a fun quad for the snow.  thanks for the help guys! much appreciated.

Offline umberto

• Administrator
  • First Ride 02-02-19
« Reply #43 on: December 09, 2016, 11:36:17 AM »
I'm glad you got it figured out.  How about some pictures of the quad with the motor installed?
Perhaps I have a dirt bike addiction?

03 KX 250/88 KX 525/2017 KX250F - Goliath
17 KX250F/04 KX250
04 KX 250 - Lunchbox's Bike
05 KX 125/144

Offline dirkster

« Reply #44 on: December 10, 2016, 12:36:34 PM »
well looks like i jumped the gun..... got the motor out and installed in the quad, started it and back to square 1 with vibration so bad i cant hold the throttle........ i dont even know what it could be anymore.