Author Topic: I'm Having a problem  (Read 2866 times)

gridlock

I'm Having a problem
« on: August 15, 2005, 01:34:23 PM »
I have an 86' KX500 and it won't start. I've had it running before and it ran fine, but now it won't start. I have checked the spark and it is fine. I have cleaned the carb but still nothing. It dosen't even act like it wants to start. I have replaced the reed valves. I have changed the plug. I just can't figure it out. I'm thinking it has something to do with the carb but I'm not sure.  Does anyone out there know what it might be?

I would appreciate any help provided. I have been lurking on this site for over a year now and enjoy it a lot. I just don't have much to say about the 500 except that I like having it in my garage and I love taking it for a spin when I can.

mikesmith

RE: I
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2005, 08:17:21 PM »
Maybe your rings are stuck or broke?New fuel?Is the plug wet after your attempts to start it?

Offline machine

I'm Having a problem
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2005, 02:38:22 AM »
Maybe you should try some "Quick Starting fluid"???
 :?

gridlock

I'm Having a problem
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2005, 09:07:21 AM »
The bike kicks over like it allways did (just dosen't start) and I have put new fuel in it, and yes the plug is wet after trying to start it. But I do recall that when this first became a problem it was hard to get the piston to move so I squirted some WD40 in the plug hole and then it was fine.

Offline Spider

I'm Having a problem
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2005, 11:11:51 AM »
Check the flyweel key. You may still have spark just at the wrong time, but with your previous problem a compression tester is cheap a autozone.

mikesmith

I'm Having a problem
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2005, 07:52:41 PM »
I had the rings stick in my Husky and it was hard to tell a drop in compression just by feel,but it was enough that it wouldnt start.

Offline KXcam22

I'm Having a problem
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2005, 03:20:56 AM »
gridlock,
  That's a tough one.  My guess is that the flywheel has spun.  You have the symptoms and it is a known KX issue.  It must have spun nearly 180 degrees otherwise you would get kickback.  Hope this helps. Cam.

gridlock

I'm Having a problem
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2005, 12:14:14 PM »
Thanks guys, I will dig into it some more when I get a chance. Tim