Author Topic: Exhaust leak  (Read 4616 times)

Offline Kenny H

Exhaust leak
« on: September 06, 2016, 10:09:51 AM »
My 01 kx5 is leaking at the jug. Looks the guy I bought it from had some kind of heat resistant silicone rubber type he coated around it. Does anyone know of this sealer he might have used.

Offline Foxx4Beaver

• James Stewart DID NOT invent the scrub!!..JoJo
Re: Exhaust leak
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2016, 10:31:00 AM »
it's not unusual for that area to leak, the rubber o-rings very well maybe shot....Cometic makes some really thick heavy duty pipe O-rings.
I always use silicone when putting the pipe back on, even with new O-rings.
Most guys use the Red high temp Permatex...

I use Loctite 5920 Copper silicone....it's much tougher, and much tougher to remove, but I like it better than the red Permatex....

« Last Edit: September 06, 2016, 11:28:47 AM by Foxx4Beaver »
Excuse me, ma'am...but you've got extremely nice legs!!!...what time do they open???                                                                                                               https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8tCgN3aryQ

Offline tobys 2 strokes

• My #2 son
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2016, 01:50:07 AM »
Not much bugs me as much as orange silicone!!
I just bought a KZ 650 and it has orange on all the covers so now they are all coming apart to be cleaned off.
if you have to use silicone use ultra black # 765-1589 its good up to 500 degrees and nothing on our bikes needs more I use it on all my pipes and being black you cant tell its even there

Offline Foxx4Beaver

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2016, 07:10:33 AM »
use whatever you want....this is personal preference. :roll:
Excuse me, ma'am...but you've got extremely nice legs!!!...what time do they open???                                                                                                               https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8tCgN3aryQ

Offline Larry Wiechman

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2016, 07:39:49 AM »

From the MFG's tech sheets:
 Red Permatex max 650°.
 Permatex Ultra Copper max 700°.
 Loctite 5920 max 700°.

Offline Foxx4Beaver

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2016, 08:30:08 AM »
I myself chose Loctite, not for temp reasons....temps mean very little.

That's why in my original post, I wrote...it's the most common...

Most guys use the Red high temp Permatex...

I do recommend the red, or Permatex in general....for anyone that's taking their pipe off frequently, as it's more forgiving...

I've had Permatex leak after a while, more than once...but using the Loctite, never.
My '02 800 Ski doo exhaust...14 yo sled, came assembled stock from the factory with copper silicone as all Ski Doo's have over the years...and in 14 years, has never leaked....and still doesn't, even after being pulled apart for a new short-block last fall, and re-assembled using the 5920.
It's personal preference...it's ok for anyone to use something else, other than what I use...it's a free Country. :lol:
« Last Edit: September 08, 2016, 08:32:46 AM by Foxx4Beaver »