Author Topic: Torque for KX85 cylinder studs????  (Read 7269 times)

Offline hibauchery

Torque for KX85 cylinder studs????
« on: August 03, 2016, 08:09:42 PM »
Rebuilding the top end of my kid's 2009 KX 85 for the first time (for me).  Saw recommendations to remove cylinder studs during process to keep them from freezing.  Done.  Now I can't find any info on the torque spec for installing the studs back into the head.  Any help???

Offline hibauchery

Re: Torque for KX85 cylinder studs????
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2016, 08:17:41 PM »
Correction- torque spec for installing studs back into cylinder, not head...  Duh...

Offline Foxx4Beaver

• James Stewart DID NOT invent the scrub!!..JoJo
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2016, 08:35:54 PM »
I'm not sure about the 85...but on my 250's and 500, I only torque them about 13lbs, and I also seal them in with yamabond on the threads.
Excuse me, ma'am...but you've got extremely nice legs!!!...what time do they open???                                                                                                               https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8tCgN3aryQ

Offline hibauchery

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2016, 09:20:57 PM »
Does the Yamabond cause any issues getting them out??  Do you remove and reset them every time you freshen up the top end?

Offline Foxx4Beaver

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2016, 07:20:33 AM »
over the past 25+ years, never had an issue taking them out...and yes, I remove them every time I send out a jug for a re-plate.
It keeps them snug, and prevents em from backing out...which I've seen studs do over the years, especially if it's an older bike/cylinder, and the threads are starting to get worn/iffy. 
Excuse me, ma'am...but you've got extremely nice legs!!!...what time do they open???                                                                                                               https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8tCgN3aryQ

Offline hibauchery

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2016, 11:46:26 AM »
Thank you very much- this was my first post, and I got the info I needed immediately.  Y'all got it goin' on here!   :-D

Offline Foxx4Beaver

« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2016, 11:49:50 AM »
you're welcome...
and sorry for not noticing it was your 1st post.

Welcome to the site!