Author Topic: Tranny locked up?  (Read 2696 times)

shiftrider

Tranny locked up?
« on: June 29, 2005, 05:43:58 AM »
Hey guys I am new to this forum. I have a 99 KX500 which unfortantley isnt in opperation at the moment. The bike will start if the clutch is pulled in, but it refuses to find neutral. I am only able to push it around my garage if I pull in the clutch. I think that my tranny is locked up somehow. I was just wondering what your guy's thoughts are and if you have any advice on how I should fix this problem. Thanks.

Offline John

• http://www.hallbergs.net
Tranny locked up?
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2005, 07:43:35 AM »
Shiftrider.

Do you think that you are shifting gears when you use the gear lever?

Does the gear lever return (spring back) to it's 'normal' position?

//John

shiftrider

Tranny locked up?
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2005, 09:06:15 AM »
It does return to its normal position but it doesnt feel like it will shift inbetween the gears. It more feels like I am just prying on it down or up, it will switch once in a while but not usually. It isnt as smooth when it does switch as it was before. I know that I am looking at some serious damage most likely but hell I dont even know where i should start on this one. I guess this is why they make service manuals. thanks for the reply

the bike was being ridden by one of my friends at the time so i dont even know what it did to start or what the inital feeling was like, or what may have caused it. i do know that at some point he thought he ran out of gas which all he did was foul the plug. when i came to help him, he had left the bike on its side: exhaust down, my fear is that oil may have drained out of that side? and wasnt able to return for some reason, but that is my guess.

ben

Offline KXcam22

Tranny locked up?
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2005, 11:06:26 AM »
I had that happen to my 92 once when it was new.  It got stuck in 3rd in a race practice right before my moto.  What other bike other that the K5 will let you get two holeshots and win the two motos while stuck in 3rd!  Back to business, if you pull off the clutch cover you will likely find that the spring loaded ratchet that turns your shift drum is stuck. Wiggling it will make it pop free.  I never did find the cause and it has never happened again in 12 years! Hope this helps. Cam.

shiftrider

Tranny locked up?
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2005, 11:35:25 AM »
Alright i will try that tonight, thanks for the info man. hopefully this pig will be back in business. the helicopter sound from my other bike is getting old.

dirtball

Tranny locked up?
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2005, 08:19:23 PM »
Did you ever get this figured out?  Mine ran into the same issues today.  I am not sure whats going on in there, I am not interested in splitting the cases if thats what it comes down too, but I would like to get another couple weekends out of this bike.  There may be a '92 KX5 up on the auction block for a parts bike if its a terminal issue.  Figures that I just did the fork seals, I have not had this bike more than a month, the power is already getting rather addictive.

Rowdy-Yates

Tranny locked up?
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2005, 04:11:44 PM »
One other alternative is to give the 5 hunny to me. Problem solved.