Author Topic: 01 Kx 250 need help no spark  (Read 16441 times)

Offline NLburden

01 Kx 250 need help no spark
« on: May 31, 2016, 08:03:03 AM »
Hi guys, Im trying to fix my brothers dirtbike for him and could use some guidance. It is a 01 kx 250 two stroke. Its been to two different garages and has had the engine completely rebuilt top and bottom end. The problem is the bike isn't producing any spark. Last time he was riding the bike. the bike was dying down and trying to shut off. Now a days it doesn't start and there is no spark. Other then changing out the spark plug, what are some common tactics for troubleshooting this?

Also can someone explain how the electrical system on these bikes work? What components are into play, and what discharges the spark? Thanks!

Offline Foxx4Beaver

• James Stewart DID NOT invent the scrub!!..JoJo
Re: 01 Kx 250 need help no spark
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2016, 08:19:13 AM »
try disconnecting the kill switch 1st...to rule out if it's faulty or not...

if that makes no difference, go over all the connections real good, look for any blue-ish/green corrosion in the plugs, be sure there's no exposed wires, or broken wires...get a little dielectric grease in the plug connections...

check your spark plug cap closely for a hairline crack...

make sure everything is grounded good...no rust or paint under any grounds...

hopefully one of those things will cure it...if not, then it's off to testing components.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2016, 08:26:40 AM by Foxx4Beaver »
Excuse me, ma'am...but you've got extremely nice legs!!!...what time do they open???                                                                                                               https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8tCgN3aryQ

Offline Foxx4Beaver

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2016, 08:36:19 AM »
pull the mag cover too, and be sure everything in there is also in order.
Excuse me, ma'am...but you've got extremely nice legs!!!...what time do they open???                                                                                                               https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8tCgN3aryQ

Offline NLburden

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2016, 12:04:58 PM »
Okay perfect thanks alot, ill start with what you've mentioned and go from there!

Offline NLburden

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2016, 12:04:00 PM »
try disconnecting the kill switch 1st...to rule out if it's faulty or not...

if that makes no difference, go over all the connections real good, look for any blue-ish/green corrosion in the plugs, be sure there's no exposed wires, or broken wires...get a little dielectric grease in the plug connections...

check your spark plug cap closely for a hairline crack...

make sure everything is grounded good...no rust or paint under any grounds...

hopefully one of those things will cure it...if not, then it's off to testing components.

Poked at the bike again earlier.
1) Disconnected the killswitch, still didn't get any spark. I only see two wires coming from the kill switch, I assume one goes to ground? I put it back the way I found it. Also continuity checked the killswitch, seems to be working.
2)Went over the connections, cleaned up some rust I found on a ground which looks like a solenoid directly behind the forks. I examined the spark plug wire and didn't see anything majorly wrong either
3)I removed all the grounds I could find to verify that they aren't corroded. I cleaned up a few and reassembled.

I would like to check the magneto , coil, etc. How do I proceed with checking these things and what do I have to remove? I know I do not have very much experience with two strokes, but from reading online I think the CDI helps regulate voltage, the stator would create the spark, however I am still a bit unsure of what is going on electrically exactly.

Thank you highly for the input. Hopefully I'll have this thing running again

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
    • OEM-CYCLE QUALITY USED PARTS
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2016, 01:26:15 PM »
If you have a OHM meter here is the specs for your stator

While to Red 7-15 Ohms
Yellow/While to Yellow 1-5 Ohms

It would also do you good to buy a Clymer or similar service manual.
Do not buy a owners manual..
The four stroke engine: That's one stroke for producing power and three for wearing the engine out.

Offline reklessj

« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2016, 02:36:20 PM »
Hey Blaster I believe it was you that wrote up a killer thing on the electrical but maybe it was just for the K5. But it sure helped me get my issues straighten out.
My rides: 1994 KX500, 1988 T4, 1998, ZXI 1100 JETSKI, 2003 MOUNTAIN CAT 900
WIFES (Baby Fiver) rides: 2004 KTM 105SX,1992 LT250R, 1995 ZXI 900 JETSKI,  2011 RMK 600
SONS ride: 1995 YZ125,2002 RM 250
other rides: 2007 RMZ450 RC Ediition, 2003 RMK700

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2016, 05:37:12 PM »
Yes, it was specific to the K5 but the principals are the same.
The only difference is the ohm specs and wire colors, and wire amounts :-)
The four stroke engine: That's one stroke for producing power and three for wearing the engine out.

Offline NLburden

« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2016, 12:33:51 AM »

While to Red 7-15 Ohms

Yes, I do have a good fluke meter, however it is a multimeter and not a analog ohm meter. Yes a service manual would be great, I normally work on offroad trucks and find the manuals are usually free online. I'll look locally for a clymer. I will let you know the readings once I get a chance, thanks!!

Offline NLburden

« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2016, 10:58:59 AM »

While to Red 7-15 Ohms

Picked up a spare set of parts from another bike that was supposively running before it was scrapped. Anyways I did some checks earlier. Do i have to remove the stator in order to do these checks or just conduct the checks from the connector with the stator still in place? I did the checks on my spare stator that i bought it turned out good. like 13 ohms and 3 ohms. I tried to check the stator that is installed in the bike and couldn't get any resistance from the pins in the connector.  Wasn't getting any resistance at all.

Offline NLburden

« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2016, 11:28:05 AM »
Bump

Offline NLburden

« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2016, 11:42:47 PM »
bump

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2016, 01:52:13 AM »
So, did you swap out your good stator with the bad one?
If so, what happened?

Offline NLburden

« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2016, 11:44:32 AM »
Swapped out stators today on the bike with another one. No spark still. I also used a test light on the connector while cranking the engine over to see if any voltage was being created from the stator. Still no spark. any suggestions?

Offline Foxx4Beaver

« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2016, 11:50:38 AM »
hmmm...could be the ignitor...which is the black box under the seat inside the air-box.