Author Topic: KX65 motor died  (Read 5142 times)

Offline Mike-Evans

KX65 motor died
« on: May 28, 2016, 07:31:58 AM »
Hi guys looking for some info aand advise please. My lads KX65 give up today, I removed the top end at the track and the piston has severe marks on the top so does tha cylinder head, cylinder has a score and the conrod is loose. Crank has blue/red heat narks so does the bottom of the conrod.

Looks like the bottom end has gone..

Question is, why?? Age, running too lean, not enougb oil etc.....?

We always run 125ml to 5l of putoline. Bike always starts first kick, no unusual noises etc.. .

This piston and bottom end is approx 17 months old, probably has alot of hours aswell and the boy does ride it hard....

Ive never stripped the bottom end on a 2 stroke so also looking for advise and tips here?

Have a look over the pics and let me know your thoughts 👍

Plan is to strip it down, buy hew crank piston and get cylinder repalted but I think I need to know why it give up??

There is aa peice of the piston missing just infront of where the clip goes, theres was alot of debris ontop of the piston when I removed the cylinder.....

Appreciate any help

Offline Foxx4Beaver

• James Stewart DID NOT invent the scrub!!..JoJo
Re: KX65 motor died
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2016, 07:38:01 AM »
big end throw a needle bearing?
Excuse me, ma'am...but you've got extremely nice legs!!!...what time do they open???                                                                                                               https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8tCgN3aryQ

Offline Mike-Evans

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2016, 07:41:38 AM »
How would I tell? The big end bearing is rough to turn, main bearings are smooth.....

As you can see in the pics, the bottom of the conrod and crank is red/blue in colour so it looks like that is the failure area

Offline Foxx4Beaver

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2016, 07:44:34 AM »
you'll know once you split the cases...I'm just guessing....but it looks/sounds like the big end bearing suffered some sort of failure.
Excuse me, ma'am...but you've got extremely nice legs!!!...what time do they open???                                                                                                               https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8tCgN3aryQ

Offline Mike-Evans

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2016, 07:50:19 AM »
Yes that is where my money is too. Ill be splitting the cases in the next few days..

I dont yet have a case splitter tool, do I need one? Can one be made?

Offline Foxx4Beaver

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2016, 08:52:52 AM »
it can be done without a splitter....but it's too risky...so don't try it.
things always go much smoother, and sometimes cheaper, when the correct tools are used.