Author Topic: 500 Power  (Read 17011 times)

Offline bandit88

500 Power
« on: May 20, 2016, 08:15:35 AM »
Hey guys, been tuning up my 500 and it now seems to run like a champ but down on power.  The bike isnt as violent or scary as I thought it would be.  Has no issues lifting the tire in first and second, but wont do it under throttle in any other gear.  I have no issues holding it wide open on dirt roads and yeah its fast but I feel it should be faster.  It sounds good, starts easy, and runs like a champ.  I am just curious what you guys think since I have never ridden a known good 500.  Things I have done so far are:
-New ProX piston and rings
-New crank seals and bearings
-New Barnett clutch discs and springs
-New OEM headgasket
-Reeds are OEM and look brand new, no gaps
-Has FMF Gold pipe and spark arrestor
-Powervalves cleaned, seals and guide replaced, when tested opens and closes as it should
-Carb jetted for 5500 ft per the chart that is floating around here.
-Running 91 octane fuel with 40:1 Motul 800
-Stock gearing with new JT chain and sprockets

Thanks

Offline Foxx4Beaver

• James Stewart DID NOT invent the scrub!!..JoJo
Re: 500 Power
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2016, 09:09:11 AM »
I would re-check the KIPS, even though you said they were opening ...confirm they're actually working when you rev it up, and re-check the "KIPS timing"...if the KIPS timing is off, it'll run like you describe as well.

have you actually done any wide open throttle plug chops to verify that it's not jetted too lean or rich?....some of those charts floating around here aren't that accurate, at all...you need to verify by doing plug chops.

I'd start there, if all checks out...then off to other possibilities. 
Excuse me, ma'am...but you've got extremely nice legs!!!...what time do they open???                                                                                                               https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8tCgN3aryQ

Offline bandit88

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2016, 11:44:37 AM »
I would re-check the KIPS, even though you said they were opening ...confirm they're actually working when you rev it up, and re-check the "KIPS timing"...if the KIPS timing is off, it'll run like you describe as well.

have you actually done any wide open throttle plug chops to verify that it's not jetted too lean or rich?....some of those charts floating around here aren't that accurate, at all...you need to verify by doing plug chops.

I'd start there, if all checks out...then off to other possibilities. 

Thanks,
A plug chop was my next plan.  I have checked the KIPS valve in Neutral and it does open when revving.  How would I check the timing? Hook a tach up and make sure it opens at the correct RPM?  Thanks

Offline Foxx4Beaver

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2016, 12:02:14 PM »
no, you need to take the pipe off, and look up inside the exhaust port, and see if the side valves are opening and closing precisely the same.

when you were assembling the KIPS in the cylinder, there's "timing" marks that need to be lined up...grooves on the govener rod, and "marks" on the side valves....
but if you can see that they're opening and closing correctly and precisely the same, through the exhaust port, you should be good.
Excuse me, ma'am...but you've got extremely nice legs!!!...what time do they open???                                                                                                               https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8tCgN3aryQ

Offline Foxx4Beaver

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2016, 12:19:18 PM »
If it's anything like my bike on dirt roads... traction is the problem...

:lol:...there's definitely some truth there.

Offline bandit88

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2016, 12:50:34 PM »
no, you need to take the pipe off, and look up inside the exhaust port, and see if the side valves are opening and closing precisely the same.

when you were assembling the KIPS in the cylinder, there's "timing" marks that need to be lined up...grooves on the govener rod, and "marks" on the side valves....
but if you can see that they're opening and closing correctly and precisely the same, through the exhaust port, you should be good.

Yep, used the timing marks when assembling the cylinder and checked that last night when i pulled the pipe to take the kips cover off to check the governor functionality.  Im hoping to ride tomorrow to do a plug chop and do a road test.

Offline Foxx4Beaver

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2016, 01:29:19 PM »
keep us posted. :mrgreen:

Offline S38B38

« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2016, 02:02:09 PM »
Even with 15/42 gearing I don't get any traction on dirt until 5th gear...when it does finally stop spitting out gravel like a snow blower it's like warp speed

Offline bandit88

« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2016, 07:43:52 AM »
Plug chop looked near perfect.  Not sure what speed I had it up to since my gps was broken but I would guess 70ish, was still accelerating.  Got it to wheelie in third but took a little work with the throttle.  Starting to think that it is just the way it is, and to ride it as is until I get the cylinder replated in the winter.  Was just expecting it to be more unmanageable. 

Offline Foxx4Beaver

« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2016, 08:15:53 AM »
something doesn't sound right....I can get mine to wheelie in any gear, even at 60+mph, with ease...granted my motor is far from stock, thanks to Pinnsonault, Pro Circuit, CrankWorks....but when I bought it in 2011, it was stock, and sacked out, and would still wheelie with ease in any gear.

as Motorrad mentioned...maybe you're losing traction...easy enough to determine, just look back over your shoulder whilst you're on the gas.

your clutch isn't slipping is it?
how bad is your cylinder?...you mention getting it re-plated in the winter...have you done a compression test to find out where it's at?

Offline Foxx4Beaver

« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2016, 09:18:06 AM »
mine's like that too, on certain surfaces...a little gentle clutch grabbing takes care of that.

Offline bandit88

« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2016, 09:54:21 AM »
I've thought about the clutch slipping, and have got that sensation every now and then.. It's all new but maybe something's not right. I'm running redline 80 wt oil, maybe I'll try something else.

Cylinder plating looked a little worn but wasn't cracking or flaking so I was hoping to get a summer out of it. Haven't done a compression test but my foot says there's plenty. I know I shouldnt go by that though haha. Will check it one of these days

Offline Foxx4Beaver

« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2016, 10:04:57 AM »
you never mentioned where you set your ignition timing.

Offline bandit88

« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2016, 10:17:03 AM »
Timing has been set with the stock marks on the stator plate.

Offline bandit88

« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2016, 02:46:25 PM »
Did a compression test tonight.  155PSI so that looks good and maybe I dont need a replate.  Good news haha.  I guess im going to pull the clutch cover next take a look at things again.  I am not sure what I am going to find but I feel like I have checked everything else.