Author Topic: K5 Moto Monster  (Read 4660 times)

Offline Norway

K5 Moto Monster
« on: July 23, 2005, 09:59:24 AM »
Been reading lots of coments on the great K5, and I am very pleased with my dirtbike. Its a -87 K5. Now Im just finnishing a -91 K5 for SuperMoto. What do U guys think about flywheel-weights?? Working vell?? Where do I get one? Any chance of making one myselfe????  Please responde, am racing soon........!!!!    Norway

By the Way, Great site, used for a year no. Love it!!
Low-cost racing was the idea... Used to be...

Offline Timbowe

RE: K5 Moto Monster
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2005, 01:34:11 PM »
Maybe no use on super motard as you'll need the snappy engine response. Good for hill work. More suited to gnarly off road situations. Here is my $0.02: The kx500 is a choice motor! Flywheel weight must limit potential [I've never ridden any thing with an extra weighted fly wheel] but have had plenty of machinery that I have lightened the fly wheel or put an after market lighter fly wheel on. The Ducati has a Nicholls light fly wheel installed and I would never go back! Heap more engine braking and very much sharper in throttle response.  If any thing I would be looking at shaving some meat off. Anyone done it yet??
KX500
Weapon in the hands of the Master

Offline Norway

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2005, 09:06:43 PM »
Been thinking of a lighter flywheel, but also lightening of the crank. Never heard of anyone done it. Am worried about the strengt of t crank thou... Much power beeing created U now. I`m currently running a Boyesen RAD Walve and FMF Gold Series exaust. Guess this would create some extra power. But still want more...  Any other mod`s to give that extra bite?? Seen some pic`s from Doordie`s gallery about holes in the pistion for cooling. Working well? Have ordered new Wiseco pistions for two K5 engines I`m restoring. These would love some more cooling I know...

Offline Timbowe

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2005, 07:14:34 PM »
I run the Vforce 2 reed block wich is different in the number of petals it uses. It has a W shape to it allowing more flow than the Boyesen. Matched up to a Moose reed spacer. Not really more power, but certainly a broader spread right of the bottom through to a reasonable top end. My bike also has the Fmf gnarly and together with the Vforce and spacer is a one wicked little combo.  All that is needed now is to ship my spare barrell of to www.eric-gorr.com/ for a 520cc oversize and nice all round port job. Very reasonable price compared to a new barell. I am too going to set up the dirty 5 for the sealed circut and reckon that with those mods there should be not much that will come close! I've got the disease also.  :twisted:
KX500

Offline Norway

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2005, 02:28:28 AM »
How thick is the reed-spacer?

hoopty

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2005, 03:52:36 AM »
10mm

Offline Norway

« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2005, 06:13:05 AM »
Thanks! Got some pics now, more in my gallery "Norway" on paige 5. More to come...
Been wondering about making my own reed-spacer. Got the right tools, are there any no-go`s??
And what about shorter silencer, any real effect, other than noise?

Offline Timbowe

« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2005, 12:42:16 PM »
Some other guys here have made thier own spacers. But they are only $20 or so. Just flat alloy plate the same profile as the reed block. Simple as. Hey Norway... You dont own a Alfa Gtv6 by any chance?
KX500

Offline Norway

« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2005, 08:32:31 AM »
Nope, ain`t got no Alfa. Would be nice though...
Went to the tracks to test my Motard today. Comlete failure... Started just fine, but seemd to get choked.
The carb vent crazy and poored fuel into the cylinder and exaust. Not very happy right now!! Will be tearing it appart soon. Just need to calm down so i dont trash it.....

Offline KXcam22

« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2005, 06:50:06 AM »
Norway,
  I made my own spacer in less than an hour.  Was fastest to cut out the inside with a drill press.  You can see a pic in my gallery. I used 1/2" aluminum which is likely the thickest you can go. The carb barely clears the frame. Probably 3/8" (10MM) is the best way to go.  Also I would suggest that you use the reed cage as the template and not just the gasket. The gasket is thin and you end up with a spacer that is too large inside. Cam.

Offline John

• http://www.hallbergs.net
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2005, 07:16:43 AM »
Which gallery? Paste a URL..?

Offline KXcam22

« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2005, 03:19:15 PM »
John,
  The main picture gallery here, KXcam22 page 3. Cam.

Kawadougie

« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2005, 12:47:26 PM »
I had a 10mm Moose spacer on mine and took it off when I recently installed a V-Force II reed cage to replace my worn out V-Force I.  Didn't notice any difference with or without the spacer.  It would be cool to see a dyno run comparison though.  My bike does have porting and a cylinder milling/head relief by Eric Gorr to increase the bottom end so perhaps that might negate any gain.