Author Topic: Buying a k5  (Read 3392 times)

Offline Rotorised

Buying a k5
« on: July 06, 2005, 12:57:20 AM »
Hey guys, im about to buy an early 90's model kx500 (with a little luck) and wanted to know if there is anything i should look out for when buying my bike? Also are there any changes to the k5 in the early 90's worth holding out for?

Cheers

Offline demographic

Re: Buying a k5
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2005, 09:42:04 AM »
Quote from: Rotorised
Hey guys, im about to buy an early 90's model kx500 (with a little luck) and wanted to know if there is anything i should look out for when buying my bike? Also are there any changes to the k5 in the early 90's worth holding out for?

Cheers

You should check out the top exhaust mount, which just about always breaks under the tank.
They just need a bit of 1/2 by 1/8 flat steel welding over it and that seems to sort em.

Remove the flywheel cover and check to see of you can waggle the flywheel, if you can then the crankshaft bearings are knackered (or the flywheels loose).

I think that there's very little difference between the 90 model (like mine is) and the last ones made.

Fork diameter in the 90 model is 41 mm and the later ones get bigger forks and also the flywheel is different from about 92 aparently which can affect it if you want to fit one of the fancy E-line accessories lightling coils thats built into a flywheel weight (the flywheel weight/lighting coil fits the later ones but not the 90 model) but that only affects those who want lights on the bike.

Offline Timbowe

Buying a k5
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2005, 07:13:01 PM »
All fairly much the same apart from as Demo said fork diameter. 43mm didnt happen till the last of them. Check for slogged out footpeg mounts, rear suspension movement, steering head bearings and would be good if it had a late model kickstarter with the meaty bit on the bottom where the steel rod goes through. The often replaced parts are inexpensive tho and with a bit of TLC you'll have a top bike. Good luck and keep us informed. :mrgreen:
KX500
Weapon in the hands of the Master

Offline Rotorised

Buying a k5
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2005, 10:37:29 PM »
Thanks for the info guys, now all that is left is to wait for one to come up in the local auto trader :(  will try and post pics once ive got it, although i doubt it will be the most glamorouse of bikes, due to buget  :wink:

Offline John

• http://www.hallbergs.net
Buying a k5
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2005, 05:41:09 AM »
Looks does not matter - power does!

I prefer a mechanically sound, tatty looking bike any day. No one wants to steel your bike if it looks like s**t.

//John

Offline demographic

Buying a k5
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2005, 08:37:14 AM »
Quote from: John
Looks does not matter - power does!

I prefer a mechanically sound, tatty looking bike any day. No one wants to steel your bike if it looks like s**t.

//John

Yep, plastics are pretty cheap anyway, so don't worry about em too much as long as the tanks alright.

Offline Rotorised

Buying a k5
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2005, 12:38:55 AM »
Cant wait, ive got a few scores to settle with anebreated fools claiming the 4-stroke is all dominating. :x  How do you guys find you run agianst the 450's in gravel or anywhere with very little traction? so far ive got a 04 crf and 04 yzf lined up for a run :oops:  :twisted:

Offline Timbowe

Buying a k5
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2005, 08:34:59 AM »
No probs! Well sorted KX is the way. Lowish tyre pressure and there will be no worries. 5 hundy stroker is the machine.
KX500
Weapon in the hands of the Master

Offline hughes

• Dirt Hammers
Buying a k5
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2005, 09:41:37 AM »
Keep an eye on e-bay. I have seen alot of KX500 for sale on e-bay.
Open Class 2-Stroke Kawasaki KX500
Yamaha 2005 YZ250
Richard Hughes
Dirt Hammers - Online Off-Road Journal
hughes@dirthammers.com
http://www.dirthammers.com

Offline Rotorised

Buying a k5
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2005, 03:18:56 AM »
:D  Bought a 2002 kx500 yesterday. Got sick of waiting for a dedent one of the right price to come along, so i managed to get a loan.

So far has been running sweet, but i plan to re-jet it this weekend as the previouse owner has been running 25:1 fuel/oil ratio and i want about 40:1. I asume this means i will need leaner jetting, does anyone have an idea of how many sizes i may need to go down? Also he has retarded the ignition timing, so that will be set back to standard. It also has a non racing plug in it at the moment, should i change to a racing plug?

Offline Arigato

Buying a k5
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2005, 04:00:36 AM »
First, you need to see what's in there to begin with.  Second, run it close to home with 40:1 and then check the plug.  Third, go to the jetting section in this web-site and see how close you are.  Congratulations on owning a great bike.