Author Topic: One Way To Prevent Case Wear  (Read 2260 times)

Offline KXcam22

One Way To Prevent Case Wear
« on: May 25, 2005, 05:07:04 PM »
After hearing about o-ring chains wearing through the engine cases around the counter shaft sprocket, I thought I had better check mine. Not too much wear but I modified the CS sprocket anyway to move it 0.060" outwards.  I found a 316SS washer 0.060" thick (1.25" OD) and drilled the hole to 1". Then got a friend to cut a 0.060 pocket in the sprocket face.  The washer goes on the back of the sprocket, spacing it out, and the pocket allows you to still get the retaining circlip on. An easy mod and fits nice. Time will tell if helps much. Here is a pic. Cam.

ps. the renthall CS sprocket was extremely hard (which is good).

Offline 5dracing

« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2005, 11:52:40 PM »
I know you only moved it out 0.060. But what about the rear sprocket. Will it cuse premature wear? keep us posted.
The torch has been passed; Father to Son. He is faster!!!

fast99

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2005, 01:53:58 PM »
The alignment with the rear sprocket should not be a problem.  What you will have to watch for is wear on the inside of the sub frame. Most k5's already have wear there even without oring chains or spaced sprockets. This is just my opionon some of you more knowledgeable k5 owners correct me if i am wrong. New the site but love all the knowledge i have found here so far.

Offline KXcam22

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2005, 04:46:41 PM »
Fast99,
  I'm not worried about the alignment. 0.060" is less than having your rear wheel poorly lined up.  I will have to watch the frame wear. My chain has no side to side play so hasn't given any frame wear yet, but will watch. I have some thin stainless I might rivet on anyway. Cam.

Offline KXcam22

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2005, 05:46:55 PM »
Here's an update.  Chain alignment doesn't seem to be an issue.  I can't detect any case wear or additional subframe wear.  So far this mod seems to be working out quite nicely. Cam.

Offline hughes

• Dirt Hammers
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2005, 10:49:51 AM »
0-ring chains can hit and wear on the engine case while running a 14 front sprocket :?:  I have new 0-ring chain and sprokets ready to install.
Open Class 2-Stroke Kawasaki KX500
Yamaha 2005 YZ250
Richard Hughes
Dirt Hammers - Online Off-Road Journal
hughes@dirthammers.com
http://www.dirthammers.com