Author Topic: 1986 Kx500 questions rebuilding and modding  (Read 2540 times)

Offline LoveaDuck

1986 Kx500 questions rebuilding and modding
« on: March 30, 2016, 11:03:04 AM »
I am about to pick up a 1986 KX500 engine that is in need of a full rebuild from my rummaging around the net there appears to be bearings and gaskets and all that around, and parts are compatible with other years. What parts are troublesome to come by?

This motor will be destined for an AF build over the next year or two, it will be built to rival the power of Godzilla, with all focus on the mid to upper range power, where should I begin?  I have a CR500AF and that will be my putt putt bike, the kx will be "why did I build this d**n thing", I want to stick with stock bore, but besides a good port and polishing job and all the normal bolt ons while keeping it realiable and on pump gas what can be done?

What is a fair price for the old 500 engine that's needing a full overhaul? I've yet to fully inspect the engine as to what it needs exactly, I will be posting a new thread In the AF builds when I finally pick up and start the project

Offline Abbott

Re: 1986 Kx500 questions rebuilding and modding
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2016, 12:52:15 PM »
Sounds like a nice project! I'll be keeping up. Mine is in the works to be a supermono itself. Look forward to hearing some feedback as well

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
    • OEM-CYCLE QUALITY USED PARTS
Re: 1986 Kx500 questions rebuilding and modding
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2016, 03:52:54 PM »
You can get most anything for the 86.
The biggest concern is your trans.
If your trans is goo, your ready to go.

Power?
Do all the Kawasaki team Green cylinder mods.
Balance the crank.
Have the head squish changed and do a decomp.
Keep the compression reasonable.
Pipe, VF2 reeds, properly jetted.
Unrestrict your exhaust valves.... The stockers are plugged up.
Remove the kips wall.
Raise the port timing.
Have the trans undercut then micro-polished.
Cryogenically treat the engine.
Break it in using heat cycles..
Hang on to your pantyhose  :-o
The four stroke engine: That's one stroke for producing power and three for wearing the engine out.