Author Topic: Vented Number Plates  (Read 7637 times)

Offline ecdeyzel

Vented Number Plates
« on: March 27, 2016, 07:45:53 AM »
Hey guys. I am curious. What was the purpose of the vented number plates guys ran in the 90s? Increase air flow to the rads? Why did they fade out?

Ed
2007 Suzuki DR650SE
1999 Kawasaki KX250 (Rebuild in Progress)

Offline Foxx4Beaver

• James Stewart DID NOT invent the scrub!!..JoJo
Re: Vented Number Plates
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2016, 08:16:55 AM »
I don't remember seeing too many in the '90s....they were big in the '80s.
they did provide some x-tra cooling....and there was a "cool factor" about having them too.
Excuse me, ma'am...but you've got extremely nice legs!!!...what time do they open???                                                                                                               https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8tCgN3aryQ

Offline Foxx4Beaver

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2016, 12:27:11 PM »
assuming you're talking about one's like this?

Excuse me, ma'am...but you've got extremely nice legs!!!...what time do they open???                                                                                                               https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8tCgN3aryQ

Offline ecdeyzel

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2016, 10:43:58 PM »
I don't remember seeing too many in the '90s....they were big in the '80s.
they did provide some x-tra cooling....and there was a "cool factor" about having them too.

Thanks for the info Fox. Had no idea people ran them in the 80s too. The ones I've seen mostly look like this.

They look horrible IMO.

I found this piece of info on another site. Interesting test PC has done, but wonder just how much it improved anything. Glad to just know now, it's weird how these small things sit in my mind sometimes.

"FRONT NUMBER PLATES: AIR FOILS AND THE DRAFT
Team SplitFire took their bikes to a race car aerodynamacist to have them analyzed. The first thing he told them was to get rid of the front number plate. The car designer said that the broad curved shape of the front number plate created an air foil that decreased the amount of air going into the radiators by 30 percent (much like the windshield on a convertible creates a back draft that blows your hair forward instead of backward). Pro Circuit/SplitFire team manager Mitch Payton had a wire mesh front number plate designed the next day.
What else did the aerodynamics expert say? Shockingly, he said that with the rider on the bike, the exit vents on the radiators are inefficient. Even if you scoop more air into the radiator wings, it will not cool the engine one iota more if it can’t escape. To get more air in, you have to draw more air out. The car guy recommended air scoops, tubes and vents—all of which are used on race cars and road racers—but will not fit on a motocross bike. Team SplitFire is looking at enlarging the exit vents on its radiator wings."
« Last Edit: March 29, 2016, 02:05:35 AM by sandblaster »
2007 Suzuki DR650SE

Offline Foxx4Beaver

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2016, 07:49:16 AM »
cool write up.
I also remember reading years ago, that some of the Kawie guys used to make 1/2" - 3/4" spacers too, to push the shrouds outward a little further, to scoop more air.

I never had one of the vented plates....I don't care for that one you posted either, but the one on the Cagiva I posted with the full screen, I don't mind.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2016, 08:00:59 AM by Foxx4Beaver »

Offline Dutch-K5 Fan

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2016, 07:55:10 AM »
Have seen at GP tanks aluminium tubes that went from head tube to airbox like a mx version Air ram.

Dutchie
Proud owner of a KX500AF

Offline Foxx4Beaver

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2016, 07:58:10 AM »
Have seen at GP tanks aluminium tubes that went from head tube to airbox like a mx version Air ram.

Dutchie

yup...the Yama's had something like that built into the tanks 8-)....

Offline Dutch-K5 Fan

« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2016, 08:05:27 AM »
Damm Foxx, A picture says more than a 1000 words :-D

Dutchie
Proud owner of a KX500AF

Offline Foxx4Beaver

« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2016, 10:18:13 AM »

Dutchie

the funny thing is, I was just looking at those pics two days ago...and then you just happened to mention it. :lol:...worked out well!

Offline LukeG

« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2016, 11:12:28 AM »
I have a aluminium tank on my DRZ and have been thinking about doing something like that as well. Truely 1000 words from that picture. Thanks guys!
1990 KX250 - Wanna be road racer!
2007 DRZ 462 Motard

Offline ecdeyzel

« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2016, 02:03:07 AM »
Thanks for all the feedback guys.
2007 Suzuki DR650SE

Offline Foxx4Beaver

« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2016, 07:25:53 AM »

no problem Ed...
what are plans?...are you lookin to buy a new # plate?

Offline Dutch-K5 Fan

« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2016, 08:22:39 AM »

Dutchie

the funny thing is, I was just looking at those pics two days ago...and then you just happened to mention it. :lol:...worked out well!

Perfect TEAM WORK :mrgreen:

Dutchie
Proud owner of a KX500AF

Offline ecdeyzel

« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2016, 07:33:45 PM »

no problem Ed...
what are plans?...are you lookin to buy a new # plate?

Nah, I got a new one already. I was just curious about them and what the point was because it seemed like rads and shrouds are designed well in itself for airflow, so I thought it was some trend the dirtbike world went through. I think if I wanted my rads to get more airflow i just wont run a number plate at all.
2007 Suzuki DR650SE