Author Topic: Clutch Cover Mod  (Read 27360 times)

Offline ebers17

• RaceShotz Photography and WNY Harescramble Forum
Clutch Cover Mod
« on: July 25, 2005, 02:29:34 PM »
Anybody modify a clutch cover within the clutch cover?  Instead of draining the coolant and taking of the kick stand and etc. everytime you change a clutch, you only need to take off a cover over the clutch?  I talked to a guy at a local shop who actually raced 500's in the 90's professionaly, and he said thats what they used to do b/c they changed it so much.  I never did ask him how they did it, and hes not around anymore, so i was wondering if anyone out here has ever done it. I'm thinking mostly alot of machining on the cover.
MSR, Steel MX Optics, FCR Suspension, MotoOption, Budget Racing, Bulmans Cycle Center, RaceShotz.net

Offline demographic

Re: Clutch Cover Mod
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2005, 10:22:07 AM »
Quote from: ebers17
Anybody modify a clutch cover within the clutch cover?  Instead of draining the coolant and taking of the kick stand and etc. everytime you change a clutch, you only need to take off a cover over the clutch?  I talked to a guy at a local shop who actually raced 500's in the 90's professionaly, and he said thats what they used to do b/c they changed it so much.  I never did ask him how they did it, and hes not around anymore, so i was wondering if anyone out here has ever done it. I'm thinking mostly alot of machining on the cover.

I was thinking about doing it a while ago, by getting a secondhand cover and getting it machined then with a bit of luck (if the sizes were about right) using the removable cover from a 250 cos at least then the gaskets would be easy to source instead of having to make them up.

Never got round to it though as with spending huge sums of money on the house I am kind of skint nowadays :(

mikesmith

RE: Re: Clutch Cover Mod
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2005, 07:13:07 PM »
Theres a good picture floating around here of one that was done for a auto clutch.Dig a little,its here somewhere.

Offline ebers17

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2006, 02:33:40 PM »
Has anybody done one of these modifications?  It's been a while since I've last asked and a while since I've really thought about doing this, but after seeing the af's being done, I'd like to do that with a modified clutch cover too.  I'm thinking of ways to do it, but just wanted to know if anyone else has done it with any luck?
MSR, Steel MX Optics, FCR Suspension, MotoOption, Budget Racing, Bulmans Cycle Center, RaceShotz.net

Offline KXcam22

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2006, 03:33:30 PM »
I have seen pics of those on the old factory KX500's.  Pretty nice.  I don't change my clutch often enough to ened one.  Maybe the drag strip boys need it!  I recall last I had the cover off for a fast fix at a race I was able to put the bike on it's side and flex the cover out of the way without draining oil or coolant. A foggy memory- possibly not entirely correct. Cam.

Offline ebers17

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2006, 04:55:14 AM »
You would'nt happen to have any pics of those factory 500's with that mod shown would you?  I've looked around on the web and can't find anything? 

Offline hughes

• Dirt Hammers
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2006, 05:00:13 AM »
This is the only picture I have seen. Looks to have custom made cover. Team Green Bike in the photo.
Open Class 2-Stroke Kawasaki KX500
Yamaha 2005 YZ250
Richard Hughes
Dirt Hammers - Online Off-Road Journal
hughes@dirthammers.com
http://www.dirthammers.com

Offline FuriouSly

• the "Base Camp"
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2006, 06:42:01 AM »
Nice pic, that is sweet for sure.  I think I might need to do something like that for the bling factor.  Thanks for the pic!

Sly

Offline ebers17

« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2006, 06:44:39 AM »
That is exactly what I was looking for!  It looks like that cover was all machined with that in mind.  I don't know exactly what I'll do, but I'm going to put some thinking into it.  That is one sweet looking machine right there though, I wish mine was that clean!

Offline ebers17

« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2006, 06:53:26 AM »
Where did you find that picture by the way?  I'd love to see more of that bike!  Thanks by the way!

Offline hughes

• Dirt Hammers
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2006, 07:04:58 AM »
That's the one only Destry Abbott's Team bike. I grabed that photo off of his web-site under his formun.
Yamaha 2005 YZ250
Richard Hughes
hughes@dirthammers.com

Offline hughes

• Dirt Hammers
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2006, 07:06:44 AM »
Other side
Yamaha 2005 YZ250
Richard Hughes
hughes@dirthammers.com

Offline Johnniespeed

• The Thrill of Speed overcomes the fear of Death.
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2006, 08:33:02 AM »
That removable clutch cover is SWEET!   I like that and the protector bar in front of the water pump.  If anyone finds a place to buy that clutch cover pass on the information.
Spring is here and the Mighty 500 wants to ride.
 2004 KX500 E16
 Michigan has the best groomed and mapped trail system, check out the Cycle Conservation Club of Michigan trail maps.

Offline demographic

« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2006, 09:12:08 AM »
Notice the Varner sticker on the cylinder?
And the writing on the side of the carb float bowl?

I am pretty sure thats who does the cylinder tuning for his bike, has anyone here had tuning work done by Varner?
And by the looks of it that particular day he was running a 168 mainjet, a N89D-3 needle? and a 55 pilot jet
« Last Edit: November 15, 2006, 07:38:31 AM by demographic »

Offline ebers17

« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2006, 09:50:51 AM »
I'm pretty sure thats a custom peice, I'm going to look into it, I've got a couple ideas.

Hows he keep everything so clean too!!!!!!??