Author Topic: Ordering Sprockets and chain...suggestions please  (Read 4001 times)

Kaveman42

Ordering Sprockets and chain...suggestions please
« on: July 25, 2005, 05:22:59 AM »
Im gonna order front/rear sprockets and a chain. I was wondering if I should go with the Renthal which is aluminum or go with gnarlyparts.com which would be steel?

Which size should I go for? 13/48 or 13/49?

Im thinking about the Renthal chain but what size chain do I need? X-Ring? O-ring? non O-ring?

I usually ride light trails since im a beginner. I noticed that I stay in 1st gear a lot and it does kinda bog down the engine at lower speeds. Thats why Im thinking about the lower gears. Im not sure what size I have now since the wheel is at the shop getting the spokes fixed. I can let you know when I get it back.

Thanks for your input.

Kaveman42

RE: Ordering Sprockets and chain...suggestions please
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2005, 05:36:55 AM »
I just noticed my front sprocket has 15teeth. I had a feeling this bike was setup for speed. I wonder what my rear has.

Offline alan

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2005, 06:33:47 AM »
O-Ring-O-Ring-O-Ring-O-Ring-O-Ring-O-Ring-O-Ring-O-Ring-O-Ring-O-Ring-O-Ring-O-Ring-O-Ring-O-Ring!

The largest front sprocket you can use to achieve the desired ratio the better!

Alan :)
Sand - Dirt - Dunes = Fun
       04- 700V - 01- KX500
        08 TeryX 2012 KX450F

afritts4u

Dont use steel
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2005, 06:53:39 AM »
I just ordered and received a steal sunstar. Got it from Denniskirk for $27. It would make a good dumbell weight. I would have returned it if I did not have to pay for shipping. A few mfg like sidewinder claim an increase of 2 rear wheel horsepower by using a lighter sprocket. The rear sprocket is both unsprung and rotating, double the effects of extra weight!

So my advice go with a hybrid like sidewinder or an aluminum. Im running my steal at the moment and it feels like I have a flywheel weight. Makes the rear brake feel like its doesnt work too!

Kaveman42

RE: Dont use steel
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2005, 07:49:42 AM »
How do the chain sizes work? What size would I need for my 1989 KX500 if I go with 13/49

I measured my chain and its about 72 inches.

hoopty

RE: Dont use steel
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2005, 08:56:15 AM »
114 links is fine for 13, 14, 15 / 47

Offline demographic

Re: RE: Dont use steel
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2005, 09:29:51 AM »
Quote from: Kaveman42
How do the chain sizes work? What size would I need for my 1989 KX500 if I go with 13/49

I measured my chain and its about 72 inches.

Use the gearing calculator in the download section and after you feed the info in it tells you how long the chain should be :)

Jobs a good un :wink:

Offline gowen

• Resident Newbie
  • Global Moderator
  • www.KXRiders.com
I hope you are kidding
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2005, 10:11:43 AM »
Your kidding right?  :lol: You want to see my s**t pile of aluminum sprokets? I finally gave up and moved to steel and will never go back, as I was using 3-5 sprokets a season and am now down to 1 steel for the last year and 1/2. Absolutely no problems and there was 0 effect from it. I currently have a sunstar sproket now and it rocks. It is cheap and lasts 5 times longer than aluminum. I am also on a quest to find more power on my KX and I will promise, it isn't in the sprocket. Not on a 500cc at least, but than again, I've put steel on ALL my 250's too, no diffrence in power delivery. Now the 125's? It doesn't matter, they don't have the power to even touch it. LOL  :lol:

Quote from: afritts4u
I just ordered and received a steal sunstar. Got it from Denniskirk for $27. It would make a good dumbell weight. I would have returned it if I did not have to pay for shipping. A few mfg like sidewinder claim an increase of 2 rear wheel horsepower by using a lighter sprocket. The rear sprocket is both unsprung and rotating, double the effects of extra weight!

So my advice go with a hybrid like sidewinder or an aluminum. Im running my steal at the moment and it feels like I have a flywheel weight. Makes the rear brake feel like its doesnt work too!

Offline hughes

• Dirt Hammers
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2005, 10:22:53 AM »
I would use steel sprockets due to the fact they last alittle longer and are cheap to replace. The only way I think you would notice the weight of the steel sprocket was if you were a pro level rider. I would go with an 0-ring type chain. The roller pins are pre lubed and sealed with 0-rings. Just wash and spray with wd-40 for rust protection.

Try this:

1) Adding one or two teeth to front or rear sprocket = Add two links to stock chain length.

2)Subtracting one tooth from front or rear sprocket = Use stock chain length.

3) Adding two or more teeth to front or rear sprocket = Add two links for every two teeth.

4) subtracting two or more teeth from front or rear sprockets = Subtract two links for every two teeth subtracted.

I just ordered a 49 rear sprocket. This will be my first for gearing my bike.
You will just half to buy a couple of sprockets and try some things to see what you want. Rockymountainmc.com has front sprockets for $6.99 you could get a 13 front and run it to see if that is how low of gearing you want. Make sure you buy a 520 model chain.
Open Class 2-Stroke Kawasaki KX500
Yamaha 2005 YZ250
Richard Hughes
Dirt Hammers - Online Off-Road Journal
hughes@dirthammers.com
http://www.dirthammers.com

Offline Timbowe

« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2005, 01:00:04 PM »
I've been using steel front 14 O ring Regina or similar chain and Renthal 46 rear alloy sprocket. Done lots of hard work on the beach wich is about the most testing of inviroments for chain/ sprockets. Had good run out of them. The key to good life is I believe is to keep the chain well adjusted and lubed. I mostly lube when the chain is hot after a good hour or so of work. The libe has an easier job of penetrating the links. The sprockets only wear when the chain become stretched. Steel is going to wear at the same rate as alloy is the chain is maladjusted and unlubed and tired. Also unsprung weight is reduced with an alloy rear. Flywheel effect is reduced noticably. Todays good alloys I find are pretty good compared to the old cheap blank drill your own holes models of 10 years back. You pay for what you get. [Usally] IMHO.
KX500
Weapon in the hands of the Master

Kaveman42

« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2005, 02:31:53 PM »
I went with the Renthal 520 O-Ring Chain and Renthal 14/49.

mikesmith

« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2005, 07:29:28 PM »
I know the dispute on steel/aluminum sprockets,but I like and get my moneys worth out of aluminum Renthal sprockets,but have no problem with steel.

afritts4u

« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2005, 10:48:42 AM »
I can feel a super suttle difference when riding between the steel and aluminum. Im now running a steal because I hardley ever race. I would like to see a dyno from sidewinder claiming that you can gain 2 rear wheel hoursepower when compared to a steel sprocket.  I wonder why no one has developed a titanium one? maybee it is too hard a material for chain whear.

TomKat

Re: Ordering Sprockets and chain...suggestions please
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2006, 12:23:50 PM »
SideWinder all the way!!!! Amazingly tough!! I've had their O-ring chain and aluminum rear sprocket on my '03 KX500 for 2 1/2 seasons of abuse  :evil: and there is only a slight amount of wear to the rear sprocket. Well worth the $$$! If I ever wear out this set, I'll definetly buy again.  :-D