Author Topic: Fresh rebulid and I almost broke my foot..help!!  (Read 3475 times)

Krider

Fresh rebulid and I almost broke my foot..help!!
« on: August 05, 2005, 05:42:29 AM »
I have just done a fresh rebuild with the crank balanced new piston ect. ect. When I tired to start my bike it almost broke my foot from kickback. I got the beast started and it idled perfectly and just putted around for the break in. When I tried to start it again of course it took a few kicks and every kick gave major kick back. It started and I rode it around a little more trying to open it up but was not making power. I left for work on a business trip and I?m trying to think what could be wrong? Could this only be ignition? I don?t think the kips system could give produce this sort of kick back. I fine tuned the kips valve can someone help.  

thanks

Offline doordie

• Global Moderator
  • Do or Die.....
RE: Fresh rebulid and I almost broke my foot..help!!
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2005, 05:52:25 AM »
Look after the "metal thing" who put flywheel in right position at crank.It happens it brokes and gives wrong timing!  :evil:
(Look at search funktion about KIPS). :wink:  

//doordie
Iceroad champion 2006,still 2007,even 2008 without a single race!

Krider

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2005, 06:10:29 AM »
I put the engine back together and I don?t understand what you mean by metal plate? I guess what I?m really asking is timing the only thing that could give that sort of foot breaking kick back?

Offline doordie

• Global Moderator
  • Do or Die.....
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2005, 06:18:34 AM »
Woodruff key! :oops:

//doordie

Offline demographic

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2005, 06:36:11 AM »
Quote from: Krider
I put the engine back together and I don?t understand what you mean by metal plate? I guess what I?m really asking is timing the only thing that could give that sort of foot breaking kick back?

As Doordie has said the woodruff key (the part that holds the flywheel in the right position on the crank taper) can break and the timing can go all to pot.

Remove flywheel and check it's ok.

Krider

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2005, 07:00:47 AM »
Alright maybe I?m not being specific enough this is the first kick of the engine since a full rebuild crank, bearings, ect. I install the flywheel on the crank the woodruff key is in perfect condition, I kick the 500 over and it has enough force to break my foot. The first kick would not generate a situation where the key would move in any direction. That is why I?m asking if maybe I have the timing off and is the timing the only condition to generate that strong of a kick back force? My foot was in pain for a day and I had on my alpinestar boots and used to ride an old CR500 and know all about kick back when starting.

Thanks

By the way how do I get a avatar besides the smilies ?

Offline doordie

• Global Moderator
  • Do or Die.....
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2005, 06:58:13 AM »
1.Plug.
2.Woodruuf key(can break even when you kick,talk in experince). :evil:
3.CDI(stuck in wrong timing angle,very rare though).

//doordie

Krider

« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2005, 02:42:18 PM »
I wanted to post what I found and thanks for the advice. Yes it was the woodruff key or I call it the fly wheel key. I still can not believe that stupid key moved and thank God it did not hurt the crank. I think the torque was 58 ft pounds when I put it on the first time. This time I used an impact gun at low power! Definitely make sure this nut in on there tight like I said before if it hurts the crank money!!
Now an up date on how she runs after I did all the mods and recommendations from the top end rebuild, that was listed on this awesome site. Let?s just say she kicked over smooth and when she fired up I could not believe I was sitting on a 500. Wow no more vibration I wish I would have done this along time ago. I did all the mild porting and I have the V force reeds with a FMF Fatty pipe. I used a Wiseco hot rod for the crank balanced of course and a Pro Trux piston. I had my cylinder replated and also did the fine tuning of the KIPS system. I also centered the crank in the case with a feeler gauge to top it off.
Very little vibration idles like a champ soooo smooth it?s like a different bike. The power is not as abrupt as before without the porting. I had the pipe and V Force on before the rebuild and it helped take away that arm ripping hit from bone stock. Porting helped even more to remove the massive hit of power. Now from just riding it around smooth power no big hit. Hopefully I will make it to the track tomorrow and really see how she runs. Smooth power and plenty of it I can?t wait for the track.

Thanks again for the help.

Offline doordie

• Global Moderator
  • Do or Die.....
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2005, 03:22:05 AM »
Krider,
Glad I could help you(we Kx500 riders have to help each other to keep the fourstrokers away). :twisted:

//doordie