Author Topic: vforce reed cage and gaskets  (Read 6093 times)

Offline xxSTOKESxx

vforce reed cage and gaskets
« on: December 13, 2006, 02:31:39 AM »
hello i just bought a vforce for my kx500 and also for my rm250 my question is the rm cage came with 2 gaskets and the kx500 only one so after trimming my intake boot i know i need a gasket between the cage and motor do i also need one between the boot and cage if so ill need another gasket for the 500 let me know thanks

Offline hughes

• Dirt Hammers
Re: vforce reed cage and gaskets
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2006, 03:21:17 AM »
The carb boot (boot bewteen the reed cage and carb) is it's own gasket. Look at the back side of it and you see. Only one gasket needed and it goes in between the reed cage and engine.
Open Class 2-Stroke Kawasaki KX500
Yamaha 2005 YZ250
Richard Hughes
Dirt Hammers - Online Off-Road Journal
hughes@dirthammers.com
http://www.dirthammers.com

Offline xxSTOKESxx

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2006, 03:54:01 AM »
ok thanks i was just wondering because when i trimmed the tabs off the boot it didnt come out exactally perfect (sitting flat with the cage) but when i bolted it on it looks tight just want to make sure i get a good seal thanks again

Offline hughes

• Dirt Hammers
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2006, 06:24:37 AM »
I don't run the V-Force reed cage so I'm not sure if the trimming you are doing will effect the sealing of the carb boot. But i'm sure some one here can help with that.
Open Class 2-Stroke Kawasaki KX500
Yamaha 2005 YZ250
Richard Hughes
Dirt Hammers - Online Off-Road Journal
hughes@dirthammers.com
http://www.dirthammers.com

Offline don46

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2006, 07:50:32 AM »
You will need a gasket in between the carb boot and the reed cage and the reed cage and cylinder. You could have done a precise job and not damaged the sealing ring on the carb boot, in my experience thats doubtful, go with the gasket. I just purchased two vforce kx500 reed cages and they came with 2 gaskets. Is your cage for a 250? they require no trimming. the cages will fit into either bike, the 250 has a smaller inlet opening than the 500 cage. I've used both, either works fine.
Live today, for tomorrow may never come

Offline Johnniespeed

• The Thrill of Speed overcomes the fear of Death.
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2006, 08:22:50 AM »
 On the delta v-force reed block, is the bolt pattern the same between the KX 250 and the KX500 ? It appears from the replies here, that only the inner or outer shape is different, it my understanding correct ? Then does the KX 250 reed block flow adequate air volume for the 500 ?
Spring is here and the Mighty 500 wants to ride.
 2004 KX500 E16
 Michigan has the best groomed and mapped trail system, check out the Cycle Conservation Club of Michigan trail maps.

Offline xxSTOKESxx

« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2006, 09:44:31 AM »
on my rm250 when I trimmed the tabs it of coarse did not come out perfect but it came with two gaskets so I put one on both sides of the cage but the 500 only had one gasket so that is why I was asking this question I just want to make sure I do it right the box said it was for a 500 but I think Ill order another gasket just to make sure I get a good seal

Offline don46

« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2006, 04:27:09 AM »
First is your reed cage a 938 or a 938x, the 938x is for a 500, the 938 will fit and seems to work just fine. With a 938 (250) you only get 1 gasket because you do not have to modify the the manifold and it seats fine. On the 938X (500) there are two gaskets due to the modification to the stock manifold, perhaps there was a mistake and a gasket was removed, I just bought a 938x and it had two gaskets. Use two gaskets be safe and happy.

Offline kx666

« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2006, 01:57:16 AM »
don,
do you have any pics of the cages for Comparison?
~steve

Offline don46

« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2006, 11:56:14 AM »
I don't have any pictures but I could probably take some, I have a 250 cage and a new 500 cage. I've used the 250 cage on the 500 both stock and v force, I could't tell any difference. I do know the vforce will not hold up to Nitrous.