Author Topic: Help, Broken Stud  (Read 3077 times)

Z1R

Help, Broken Stud
« on: April 07, 2003, 10:33:57 AM »
While putting my front wheel on my 02 .. I broke one of the studs on the axle clamp. 9.3 Nm just didn't seem like enough even with loctite.  Live and learn

So, I went to the parts diagrams....and It looks like one of the very few non-serviceable hardware peices on the bike.  Oh there is a picture of it alright ... as part of the bottom fork tube!!!

I didn't try to see if it is removeable or not yet ... I just packed my tools for the day knowing that breaking this stud was a clear indication that it was time to stop for the day...it is just a hobby.

Has anyone else done this?   Is it just a stud that Kawasaki simply has not listed a service part for and I can simply get a matching stud?

maicobreako

Help, Broken Stud
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2003, 11:54:26 AM »
Ive got a damaged lower fork tube That I robbed a stud out of,Came out quite easily just lock two nuts together and cross your fingers, maybee a flash of heat as well. As for removing a broken stud if there not enough to grip with say "vise grips" then you may have to cut it off flush and carefully drill it out. Maybee a small easy out screw extractor would do the job. luckily I have three more spares from the dented fork tube which is now the perfect handlebar straightening tool. If you really truly need a stud Ill part with one. 8)

Rick

Help, Broken Stud
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2003, 02:17:49 AM »
While I locktite everything else on the bike, this is one area that does not get any locktite.  Unlike other bolts that vibrate loose, these little nuts seem to stay firmly in place.  Even with racing, and the hundreds of miles I put on my bike each month, I have never lost a nut.  Also, I don't really tighten the nuts as one might expect, as I only use a 10mm T-handle.  Fortunately, these little guys are easy to remove when the unfortunate happens.

As a note, on the only use bike I ever purchase back in the early 1990's, the prior owner had gotten a little excited while tightening the nuts, and had broken one stud.  No knowing any better at the time, I rode the bike for a year and a half with 3 studs on one side, and never had a problem.  Now, I am not recommending running 3 studs as a general rule, but I would certainly entertain continued riding for the day if I did happen to twist off a stud while changing a tire at the van.  Wouldn't even give it a second thought.

Good luck with the removal.

Rick

Z1R

Help, Broken Stud
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2003, 10:31:20 AM »
Well, I gave my dealer a call ..  I have a very good relationship with my dealer.

The owner tells me to bring it on down anytime and he'll take a look.  I get there, he takes a stud out of a parts bag and in five minutes he has it replaced.  While I wait.

He reminds me that it's the machining that holds axle in place and my mistake is gonna cost me just five bucks!!!  I offered a twenty and he said five would do.... :)

THANKS for the help and advice folks!!!!